Difference between revisions of "22nd Street South"

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(Southside / Five Points South)
Line 41: Line 41:
  
 
* [[2nd Avenue South]] intersection
 
* [[2nd Avenue South]] intersection
** West side ([[Block 137]])
+
** west side ([[Block 137]]):
*** 200-208: [[White Auto Parts building]] (built 1928), former location of [[Walter White Auto Parts]] (1957-2007)
+
*** 200-208: [[Eyer-Raden building]] (built c. 1895 by [[Morris Raden]])
**** 200: former location of [[Bower & Co.]] saloon (1904), [[Busy Bee Cafe]] (1928), [[Southside Paint & Supply]] (1941)
+
**** 200: former location of [[Daniel Eyer]] grocery (1896-1899), [[Bower & Co.]] saloon (1904), [[Excelsior Bakery]] (1915–1918), [[Busy Bee Café]] (mid 1920s–early 1930s), [[Southside Paint & Supply Co.]] (1940–1950)
**** 202-206: former location of [[Maske & Kent Refrigeration Co.]] (1941)
+
**** 202–206: former location of [[Refrigeration Sales & Service]] (1940), [[Maske & Kent Refrigeration Co.]] (1941)
**** 206: [[Southern Radiator & Cooling]], former location of [[Birmingham Automotive Service]] (2007)
+
**** 204-208: former location of [[Walter White Auto Parts]] (1957-2007)
*** 208: former location of [[Federal-Mogul Service]] bearings (1941)
+
***** 204-206: former location of electric shop (1957)
 +
****** 204: former location of [[Daniel Eyer]] saloon (1899)
 +
******* 204½: former location of [[Mary Raden]] boarding house (1896), [[Louise Curtis]] boarding house (1899)
 +
****** 206: former location of [[Birmingham Automotive Service]] (2007), [[Southern Radiator & Cooling]]
 +
***** 208: former location of [[Henderson Brewing Co.]] (1900), [[Federal-Mogul Service]] bearings (1941)
 
*** 210: former location of [[Albert T. Seals Auto Repair]] (1941-1970)
 
*** 210: former location of [[Albert T. Seals Auto Repair]] (1941-1970)
 
*** 212-214: former location of [[Wengel Wilbern]]//[[Seagraves]]/[[The Flexible Co.]] ambulances & fire trucks (1941), [[Cather Brothers Printing & Publishing]] (1964-1970), [[Fulenwider Auto Supply]]
 
*** 212-214: former location of [[Wengel Wilbern]]//[[Seagraves]]/[[The Flexible Co.]] ambulances & fire trucks (1941), [[Cather Brothers Printing & Publishing]] (1964-1970), [[Fulenwider Auto Supply]]
 
**** 212: former location of [[New York Model Bakery]] (1887-1888), "ruins of fire" (1891)
 
**** 212: former location of [[New York Model Bakery]] (1887-1888), "ruins of fire" (1891)
*** [[2nd Alley South]]
 
 
*** 220: former location of [[Fariss-Armstrong Motor Co.]] (1941)
 
*** 220: former location of [[Fariss-Armstrong Motor Co.]] (1941)
 
*** 224-230: [[Southern Armature Works]] (1931-), former location of [[C. E. Reeves]] auto body & fender works (1941)
 
*** 224-230: [[Southern Armature Works]] (1931-), former location of [[C. E. Reeves]] auto body & fender works (1941)
 
**** 228: former location of [[Zylphia Freeney]] restaurant (1904)
 
**** 228: former location of [[Zylphia Freeney]] restaurant (1904)
** East side ([[Block 138]])
+
** east side ([[Block 138]]):
 
*** 201: vacant, former location of grocery (1891), [[BEBCO]] (1913-), [[Office Outfitters]] (1964)
 
*** 201: vacant, former location of grocery (1891), [[BEBCO]] (1913-), [[Office Outfitters]] (1964)
 
*** 205-215: former location of "negro dwellings" (1891)
 
*** 205-215: former location of "negro dwellings" (1891)
*** [[2nd Alley South]]
 
 
*** 215-231: [[J. F. Oates Building]] (built 1929), [[Birmingham School of Law]] (2013-), former location of [[J. Truett Payne Co.]] autos (1964-1970), [[Tom Williams Auto|Tom Williams Porsche/BMW]]
 
*** 215-231: [[J. F. Oates Building]] (built 1929), [[Birmingham School of Law]] (2013-), former location of [[J. Truett Payne Co.]] autos (1964-1970), [[Tom Williams Auto|Tom Williams Porsche/BMW]]
 +
 
* [[3rd Avenue South]] intersection
 
* [[3rd Avenue South]] intersection
** Wwest side ([[Block 146]]):
+
** west side ([[Block 146]]):
 
*** 300-326: [[DaVita Dialysis Clinic]], former location of [[Sherrill & Amos]] (1941), [[Jim Burke Nash]] (1945-1952), [[Chuck Milner Rambler]] (1964), [[Nelson-Brantley Glass Co.]] (1970), [[Franklin Automotive]], [[Platinum Imports]] (2007)
 
*** 300-326: [[DaVita Dialysis Clinic]], former location of [[Sherrill & Amos]] (1941), [[Jim Burke Nash]] (1945-1952), [[Chuck Milner Rambler]] (1964), [[Nelson-Brantley Glass Co.]] (1970), [[Franklin Automotive]], [[Platinum Imports]] (2007)
 
** east side ([[Block 145]]):
 
** east side ([[Block 145]]):
 
*** 301-311: former location of [[Birmingham Steam Bottling Works]] / [[Davis & Worcester]] (1886-c.1902)
 
*** 301-311: former location of [[Birmingham Steam Bottling Works]] / [[Davis & Worcester]] (1886-c.1902)
 
**** 301: parking for [[Sweet Tea Restaurant]] (2011-), former used car lot for [[Fariss-Armstrong Motor Co.]] (1941)
 
**** 301: parking for [[Sweet Tea Restaurant]] (2011-), former used car lot for [[Fariss-Armstrong Motor Co.]] (1941)
*** [[3rd Alley South]]
 
 
*** 313-323: [[C & M Collision Center]] (2007-), former location of "negro dwellings" (1891), [[Merchants Cigar & Candy Co.]] wholesale sales (1941-1970)
 
*** 313-323: [[C & M Collision Center]] (2007-), former location of "negro dwellings" (1891), [[Merchants Cigar & Candy Co.]] wholesale sales (1941-1970)
  

Revision as of 09:22, 15 February 2020

Twenty-second Street South (22nd Street South) is a one-way north-south street in Birmingham's Southside neighborhood, running south from the 22nd Street Viaduct over the Railroad Reservation to Highland Avenue, where it is interrupted by the Red Mountain Expressway.

A piece of 22nd Street South serves as part of the offramp from the Expressway to Highland Avenue or to 23rd Street South, forming the southern edge of the Highland Park neighborhood. Another two-way section of 22nd Street South begins at Arlington Avenue and ends as it turns onto 16th Avenue South in the Redmont Park neighborhood. On the other side of Red Mountain, there is a short two-way section of 22nd Street South in Mountain Brook's English Village, ending at 21st Avenue South.

22nd Street South forms the border between the Five Points South neighborhood to the west and the Southside neighborhood to the east. It also forms the western edge of the National Register of Historic Places' Southside Historic District between 4th and 7th Avenue South. The first four blocks of 22nd Street South lie within the city's Historic Downtown Automotive District, and the section from 5th Alley South to 7th Avenue South runs through the city's Southside Historic District.

The 400 through 700 blocks of 22nd Street South are included in Birmingham's Midtown Commercial Revitalization District, and the eastern edge of the City Action Partnership's service area extending to 5th Avenue South.

The Red Mountain Railroad followed 22nd Street South up Red Mountain from 15th Avenue South to Warwick Court on its way to Rosedale between 1889 and 1893. In the 1940s, the street was one of the proposed routes for a Red Mountain Tunnel.

Notable locations

For an alphabetical list of locations, see the 22nd Street South category.

Southside / Five Points South