Difference between revisions of "2nd Avenue North"

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(19th Street North intersection)
(3 intermediate revisions by one user not shown)
Line 318: Line 318:
 
**** 1804: former location of [[Alabama Lock & Key]], [[Arrow Finance Co.]] (1964)
 
**** 1804: former location of [[Alabama Lock & Key]], [[Arrow Finance Co.]] (1964)
 
***** 1804a: former location of [[Alabama Shoe Service]] (1964)
 
***** 1804a: former location of [[Alabama Shoe Service]] (1964)
*** 1808-1810: former location of [[Ullman Hardware Company]], [[Calder's]], [[Paul Worrell]] optometrist (1964)
+
*** 1808-1810: former location of [[Ullman Hardware Company]], [[Calder Furniture Co.]] (1952-), [[Paul Worrell]] optometrist (1964-)
 
**** 1810: former location of [[Birmingham Steel Jacket Co.]] armory (1929), [[Pope Jewelry Company]] (1964)
 
**** 1810: former location of [[Birmingham Steel Jacket Co.]] armory (1929), [[Pope Jewelry Company]] (1964)
 
*** 1812-1814 : former location of [[Magic City Printing Works]] / ''[[Birmingham News]]'' / [[Planters' Journal]] (1887)
 
*** 1812-1814 : former location of [[Magic City Printing Works]] / ''[[Birmingham News]]'' / [[Planters' Journal]] (1887)
Line 327: Line 327:
 
**** 1816: former location of [[R. D. Burnett Cigar Co.]] (1922), [[L. F. M. Store]] (1929), [[McKelveny-Coats Furniture Co.]], (1931), [[Loveman's Annex]] (1964)
 
**** 1816: former location of [[R. D. Burnett Cigar Co.]] (1922), [[L. F. M. Store]] (1929), [[McKelveny-Coats Furniture Co.]], (1931), [[Loveman's Annex]] (1964)
 
**** 1818: former location of [[W. D. Colby Decorating Co.]]
 
**** 1818: former location of [[W. D. Colby Decorating Co.]]
*** 1820: former location of [[Harwell & Green]] (1887), coal office (1891), [[James Gatoras]] restaurant (1910), [[Adams Birmingham Thrift Store]] (1929), [[Calder's|Calder's Furniture]] (1964)
+
*** 1820: former location of [[Harwell & Green]] (1887), coal office (1891), [[James Gatoras]] restaurant (1910), [[Adams Birmingham Thrift Store]] (1929), [[Calder Furniture Co.]] (1964)
 
*** 1822: former location of [[Lockwood & Miller]] undertakers (1887-1891), [[Burdick Billiard Academy]] (1922)
 
*** 1822: former location of [[Lockwood & Miller]] undertakers (1887-1891), [[Burdick Billiard Academy]] (1922)
 
**** 1822½: former location of [[Battle Creek Treatment Rooms]] / [[C. E. Graham]] news stand (1922)
 
**** 1822½: former location of [[Battle Creek Treatment Rooms]] / [[C. E. Graham]] news stand (1922)
Line 382: Line 382:
 
*** 1906: former location of [[Louis Saks Clothiers]] (1887- )
 
*** 1906: former location of [[Louis Saks Clothiers]] (1887- )
 
** 1906-1908: former location of [[H. L. Green Co.]] discount store (1964)
 
** 1906-1908: former location of [[H. L. Green Co.]] discount store (1964)
** 1908: former location of [[John B. Roden & Co.]] (1875-1880s), [[J. A. Mills]] jeweler (1888), [[Birmingham Arms Company]] (c. 1889) [[Feder & Berk]] (c. 1909), and [[Silver's Department Store]] (1940s)
+
** 1908: former location of [[John B. Roden & Co.]] (1875-1880s), [[J. A. Mills]] jeweler (1888), [[Birmingham Arms Company]] (c. 1889) [[Feder & Berk]] (c. 1909), [[Ben Hur Hall]] (1924), [[Silver's Department Store]] (1940s)
 
** 1910-1914: [[Old Kress Building]], former location of [[S. H. Kress & Company]] (1915-1937), [[Grant's|W. T. Grant & Company]] (1939-1973), [[Snow's Cards and Gifts]] (1973-)
 
** 1910-1914: [[Old Kress Building]], former location of [[S. H. Kress & Company]] (1915-1937), [[Grant's|W. T. Grant & Company]] (1939-1973), [[Snow's Cards and Gifts]] (1973-)
 
*** 1910: former location of [[A. A. Dreyspool & Bro.]] (1887), [[J. H. Shepherd]] photographer (1888), [[Birmingham Grocery Company]]
 
*** 1910: former location of [[A. A. Dreyspool & Bro.]] (1887), [[J. H. Shepherd]] photographer (1888), [[Birmingham Grocery Company]]
Line 557: Line 557:
 
*** 2125: [[The Collins]], former location of leather shop (1891), [[Western Meat Market]] (1929), [[New York Pawn Shop]] (1964), [[Metro Bar|Metro Bistro]])
 
*** 2125: [[The Collins]], former location of leather shop (1891), [[Western Meat Market]] (1929), [[New York Pawn Shop]] (1964), [[Metro Bar|Metro Bistro]])
 
**** 2125½: [[Independent Order of Odd Fellows]] lodge (1964)
 
**** 2125½: [[Independent Order of Odd Fellows]] lodge (1964)
*** 2127-2131: former site of livery stable (1891), [[Yeilding's|Yeilding Brothers Company]] / [[Yeilding's]] department store (1911-1964)
+
*** 2127-2131: former site of livery stable (1891), [[Yeilding's|Yeilding Brothers Company]] / [[Yeilding's]] department store (1911-1964), [[Calder Furniture Co.]]
 
**** 2127: former location of barber shop (1891)
 
**** 2127: former location of barber shop (1891)
 
**** 2129: former skating rink (1885), stable entrance (1891)
 
**** 2129: former skating rink (1885), stable entrance (1891)

Revision as of 06:19, 11 September 2019

1900 block of 2nd Avenue North in 2006

2nd Avenue North (or Second Avenue North, formerly just 2nd Avenue) is an east-west street running through downtown Birmingham. The street is so named from Center Street in the west (where it becomes Tuscaloosa Avenue), continuously through downtown, to 29th Street North, after which it dead ends.

Sections of 2nd Avenue North reappear between 32nd and 35th Streets, between 47th and 52nd Streets, between 53rd and 54th Streets, and again east of Trotwood Park between 71st and 78th Streets. A short stub of 2nd Avenue North runs toward East Lake Park from 80th Street near I-59, then resumes between 85th and 86th Streets near Roebuck.

The area surrounding 2nd and 3rd Avenue North near the Alabama and Lyric Theatres is considered the heart of Birmingham's Theater District. The section between 22nd and 25th Streets is part of the City Center Loft District, utilized for the annual ArtWalk festival.

The area north of 2nd Avenue between 11th and 14th Streets was once known as Baconsides, and was particularly hard hit by the 1873 cholera epidemic. 2nd Avenue North is the setting for the fictional "Olympia Gym" in the novel and film, Stay Hungry.

The section of 2nd Avenue between 20th and 24th Street is part of the Downtown Birmingham Historic District. Until the mid-1980s, Red Mountain Expressway terminated at the 2nd Avenue North offramp.

MAX Transit Route 1 and MAX Transit Route 3 take 2nd Avenue westward to Elyton.

Notable locations

For an alphabetical list of locations, see the 2nd Avenue North category.
Dates in parentheses indicate when the address was known to have been used, not necessarily the entire span of its use.

Smithfield neighborhood

Not all intersections are listed.
St John's Episcopal Church
Wilborn Service Station and Wilborn Construction Co. at 830 2nd Avenue North

Fountain Heights neighborhood

The Thomas Jefferson Hotel
The Ritz Theater in 1927
The Bell Building at 1814 2nd Avenue North in January 1912

Central City neighborhood

Hudgins' fountain in 1886

19th Street North intersection

Rosenberger's Birmingham Trunk Factory in 1939

20th Street North intersection

BPA Deck No. 6 on 2nd Avenue North

21st Street North intersection

The Zinszer Building at 2115-2119 2nd Avenue North

22nd Street North intersection

23rd Street North intersection

24th Street North intersection

25th Street North intersection

Carraway Boulevard (26th Street North) intersection

28th Street North intersects

29th Street North intersects (north only)

North Avondale

Woodlawn

Wahouma

Unknown addresses