Difference between revisions of "2nd Avenue North (Downtown)"

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(18th Street North)
(18th Street North)
Line 214: Line 214:
 
[[File:Bell Building.jpg|right|thumb|225px|The Bell Building at 1814 2nd Avenue North in January 1912]]
 
[[File:Bell Building.jpg|right|thumb|225px|The Bell Building at 1814 2nd Avenue North in January 1912]]
 
* north side ([[Block 87]]):
 
* north side ([[Block 87]]):
** 1800-1806: [[Loveman's parking deck]], former site of [[United States Court House and Post Office]] (built 1893, demolished 1925), [[Herman Saks & Sons]] clothiers (1925-1929), [[167th Infantry Army National Guard Armory]], [[American Legion]]   
+
** 1800-1818: [[Loveman's parking deck]], former site of [[United States Court House and Post Office]] (built 1893, demolished 1925), [[Herman Saks & Sons]] clothiers (1925-1929), [[167th Infantry Army National Guard Armory]], [[American Legion]]   
 
*** 1800: former location of [[Alabama Sandwich Shop]], [[Dr Gus No. 2]] drive-in (1945), [[Krystal]] hamburgers (1964), later a parking lot
 
*** 1800: former location of [[Alabama Sandwich Shop]], [[Dr Gus No. 2]] drive-in (1945), [[Krystal]] hamburgers (1964), later a parking lot
 
*** 1802: former location of [[Rumore's Record Rack|Joe Rumore's Record Rack]] (1954-1970)
 
*** 1802: former location of [[Rumore's Record Rack|Joe Rumore's Record Rack]] (1954-1970)
Line 220: Line 220:
 
*** 1804: former location of [[Alabama Lock & Key]], [[Arrow Finance Co.]] (1964)
 
*** 1804: former location of [[Alabama Lock & Key]], [[Arrow Finance Co.]] (1964)
 
**** 1804a: former location of [[Alabama Shoe Service]] (1964)
 
**** 1804a: former location of [[Alabama Shoe Service]] (1964)
** 1808-1810: former location of [[Ullman Hardware Company]], [[Calder Furniture Co.]] (1952-), [[Paul Worrell]] optometrist (1964-)
+
*** 1808-1810: former location of [[Ullman Hardware Company]], [[Calder Furniture Co.]] (1952-), [[Paul Worrell]] optometrist (1964-)
*** 1810: former location of [[Birmingham Steel Jacket Co.]] armory (1929), [[Pope Jewelry Company]] (1964)
+
**** 1810: former location of [[Birmingham Steel Jacket Co.]] armory (1929), [[Pope Jewelry Company]] (1964)
** 1812-1814 : former location of [[Magic City Printing Works]] / ''[[Birmingham News]]'' / [[Planters' Journal]] (1887)
+
*** 1812-1814 : former location of [[Magic City Printing Works]] / ''[[Birmingham News]]'' / [[Planters' Journal]] (1887)
*** 1812: former location of [[Vulcan Loan & Discount Co.]] (1964)
+
**** 1812: former location of [[Vulcan Loan & Discount Co.]] (1964)
** 1814-1818: former 6-story [[Bell Building]] (1907-1970), housing the [[Southern Bell|Southern Bell Telephone & Telegraph Co.]] offices (1907-1922), [[Carleton's Furs]] (1964)
+
*** 1814-1818: former 6-story [[Bell Building]] (1907-1970), housing the [[Southern Bell|Southern Bell Telephone & Telegraph Co.]] offices (1907-1922), [[Carleton's Furs]] (1964)
*** 1814: former location of [[Commercial Abstract Co.]] / ''[[The Birmingham Herald]]'' / ''[[Southern Iron Worker]]'' / [[Lightfoot & Co.]] real estate (1887), hardware & tin shop (1891). [[Southern Bell|Southern Bell Telephone & Telegraph Co.]] (1904)
+
**** 1814: former location of [[Commercial Abstract Co.]] / ''[[The Birmingham Herald]]'' / ''[[Southern Iron Worker]]'' / [[Lightfoot & Co.]] real estate (1887), hardware & tin shop (1891). [[Southern Bell|Southern Bell Telephone & Telegraph Co.]] (1904)
** 1816-1818: [[Burnett Building]], former location of [[Cable Hall]], [[Stowers Furniture Co.]] (1904), [[Birmingham Conservatory of Music]] (1912-1922), [[Theosophical Society]] (1922), [[Cable-Shelby-Burton Piano Co.]] (1912-1925)
+
**** 1816-1818: [[Burnett Building]], former location of [[Cable Hall]], [[Stowers Furniture Co.]] (1904), [[Birmingham Conservatory of Music]] (1912-1922), [[Theosophical Society]] (1922), [[Cable-Shelby-Burton Piano Co.]] (1912-1925)
*** 1816: former location of [[R. D. Burnett Cigar Co.]] (1922), [[L. F. M. Store]] (1929), [[McKelveny-Coats Furniture Co.]], (1931), [[Loveman's Annex]] (1964)
+
***** 1816: former location of [[R. D. Burnett Cigar Co.]] (1922), [[L. F. M. Store]] (1929), [[McKelveny-Coats Furniture Co.]], (1931), [[Loveman's Annex]] (1964)
*** 1818: former location of [[W. D. Colby Decorating Co.]], [[Alabama Equal Suffrage Association]] (1913–1919)
+
***** 1818: former location of [[W. D. Colby Decorating Co.]], [[Alabama Equal Suffrage Association]] (1913–1919)
** 1820: former location of [[Harwell & Green]] (1887), coal office (1891), [[G. R. Currey]] / [[Hood & Winston]] (1904), [[Peoples Cafe]] ([[Jim Gatoras]] 1910–1911), [[Adams Birmingham Thrift Store]] (1929), [[Calder Furniture Co.]] (1964)
+
** 1820–1830: [[McWane Science Center]] IMAX Dome Theater (built 1998)
** 1822: former location of [[Lockwood & Miller]] undertakers (1887–1891), [[Simmonds Tailoring Co.]] / [[Hagood-Anderson Co.]] (1904), [[Burdick Billiard Academy]] (1922)
+
*** 1820: former location of [[Harwell & Green]] (1887), coal office (1891), [[G. R. Currey]] / [[Hood & Winston]] (1904), [[Peoples Cafe]] ([[Jim Gatoras]] 1910–1911), [[Adams Birmingham Thrift Store]] (1929), [[Calder Furniture Co.]] (1964)
*** 1822½: former location of [[Battle Creek Treatment Rooms]] / [[C. E. Graham]] news stand (1922)
+
*** 1822: former location of [[Lockwood & Miller]] undertakers (1887–1891), [[Simmonds Tailoring Co.]] / [[Hagood-Anderson Co.]] (1904), [[Burdick Billiard Academy]] (1922)
** 1824-1830: IMAX Dome Theater of the [[McWane Science Center]] (built 1998), former site of [[Florence Hotel]] (1885-1916), [[1916 Louis Saks building]] ([[Louis Saks Clothiers]] (1916-1920s), [[Melancon's]] (1920s-1936) and [[Newberry's]] (1936-1995))
+
**** 1822½: former location of [[Battle Creek Treatment Rooms]] / [[C. E. Graham]] news stand (1922)
*** 1824–1826: former location of [[William Wise & Co.]] saloon (1902–1904)
+
*** 1824-1830: former site of [[Florence Hotel]] (1885-1916), [[1916 Louis Saks building]] ([[Louis Saks Clothiers]] (1916-1920s), [[Melancon's]] (1920s-1936) and [[Newberry's]] (1936-1995)
**** 1824: former location of saloon (1891), [[Kampanis]] / [[Harry Tambakis]] (1907), [[R. M. Mingea]] tailor (1910), [[The Film Shop]] (1964)
+
**** 1824–1826: former location of [[William Wise & Co.]] saloon (1902–1904)
**** 1826: former location of [[G. W. Hutchins]] barber shop (1888-1891), [[Florence Liquor Store]] (1902)
+
***** 1824: former location of saloon (1891), [[Kampanis]] / [[Harry Tambakis]] (1907), [[R. M. Mingea]] tailor (1910), [[The Film Shop]] (1964)
 +
***** 1826: former location of [[G. W. Hutchins]] barber shop (1888-1891), [[Florence Liquor Store]] (1902)
 
*** 1828: former location of hotel entrance (1885-1916)
 
*** 1828: former location of hotel entrance (1885-1916)
 
*** 1830: former location of jewelry shop (1891)
 
*** 1830: former location of jewelry shop (1891)

Revision as of 10:12, 25 October 2020

1900 block of 2nd Avenue North in 2006. The Old Kress Building is prominent.

2nd Avenue North (Downtown) is the section of 2nd Avenue North running through downtown Birmingham's Fountain Heights and Central City neighborhoods, between I-65 and 26th Streets.

In the downtown area, 2nd Avenue North has an 80-foot right of way. It is a one-way street which carries three lanes of westbound traffic, with parallel parking at each curb.

The area surrounding 2nd and 3rd Avenue North near the Alabama and Lyric Theatres is considered the heart of Birmingham's Theater District. The section between 22nd and 25th Streets is part of the City Center Loft District, utilized for the annual ArtWalk festival.

The section of 2nd Avenue between 20th and 24th Street is part of the Downtown Birmingham Historic District. Until the mid-1980s, Red Mountain Expressway terminated at the 2nd Avenue North offramp. During that decade rows of Gingko trees were installed along 2nd Avenue as part of the city's urban tree planting project, guided by Nimrod Long & Associates. In general, female trees were planted on the north side of the street and males on the south side.

Locations

For an alphabetical list of locations, see the 2nd Avenue North (Downtown) category.
Dates in parentheses indicate when the address was known to have been used, not necessarily the entire span of its use.

2nd Avenue North continues west through Smithfield to Center Street, continuing as Tuscaloosa Avenue Southwest

Fountain Heights neighborhood

11th Street North

12th Street North

13th Street North

14th Street North

15th Street North

16th Street North

The Thomas Jefferson Hotel

17th Street North

1700 block of 2nd Avenue North with the Ritz Theater, c. 1950s

18th Street North

The Bell Building at 1814 2nd Avenue North in January 1912

Central City neighborhood

19th Street North

Hudgins' fountain in 1886
Rosenberger's Birmingham Trunk Factory in 1939

20th Street North

BPA Deck No. 6 on 2nd Avenue North

21st Street North

The Zinszer Building at 2115-2119 2nd Avenue North

22nd Street North

23rd Street North

24th Street North

25th Street North

Carraway Boulevard (26th Street North)

References