Difference between revisions of "3rd Avenue North"

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(17th Street North)
(18th Street North)
Line 322: Line 322:
 
* north side ([[Block 72]]):
 
* north side ([[Block 72]]):
 
** 1800-1806: [[Lyric Building]] (built 1914)
 
** 1800-1806: [[Lyric Building]] (built 1914)
*** 1800: [[Lyric Theatre]] lobby and building entrance, former location of flour & feed store (1891), [[D. H. Bellmore]] (1907)
+
*** 1800: [[Lyric Theatre]] lobby and building entrance, former location of flour & feed store (1891), [[Donald Bellmore|Donald H. Bellmore]] saloon (1905–1907)
*** 1802: former entrance to [[Lyric Barber Shop]] & [[Lyric Billiard Parlor]] (1920-1929), former location of [[Roth, Satterfield & Miller]] (1907)
+
*** 1802: former entrance to [[Lyric Barber Shop]] & [[Lyric Billiard Parlor]] (1920-1929), former location of [[Roth & Harrington]] tailors (1905), [[Roth, Satterfield & Miller]] (1907)
*** 1804: former location of [[Battle & Yeates]] real estate (-1883), [[J. A. Yates]] real estate (1883-1888), jeweler (1891), [[Lyric Confectionery]] home-made candies (1925-1931), [[The Karmelkorn Shop]] (1941), [[First City Mortgage]] (2007), [[Birmingham Art Association]]
+
*** 1804: former location of [[Battle & Yeates]] real estate (-1883), [[J. A. Yates]] real estate (1883-1888), jeweler (1891), [[J. M. Johnson]] (1905), [[Lyric Confectionery]] home-made candies (1925-1931), [[The Karmelkorn Shop]] (1941), [[First City Mortgage]] (2007), [[Birmingham Art Association]]
 
*** 1806: former location of [[Bolin & Rakestraw]] / [[Guarantee Hat Works]] (1907), [[National Loan & Jewelry]] (1928–2007), [[House of Hats]] (1964), [[Place Design Studio]]
 
*** 1806: former location of [[Bolin & Rakestraw]] / [[Guarantee Hat Works]] (1907), [[National Loan & Jewelry]] (1928–2007), [[House of Hats]] (1964), [[Place Design Studio]]
 
**** 1806½: former location of [[Lollar's Cameras]] (1928–1941), [[Lyric Hot Dogs]] (1957-2013)
 
**** 1806½: former location of [[Lollar's Cameras]] (1928–1941), [[Lyric Hot Dogs]] (1957-2013)
 
** 1808-1810: [[Duke Brothers building]] (built 1922), former location of boarding house (1899), [[Jesse French Piano & Organ Company]] (1902), [[Birmingham Conservatory of Music]] (1903), [[Majestic Theater building]] (built 1906, demolished 1921), [[Majestic Theater]] (1906–1921), [[Duke Bros Furniture Co.]]  (1922–1928), [[Joiner Furniture Co.]] (1941), [[Jefferson Home Furniture]] (1964), [[Haverty's Furniture]] (1977), [[Superior Furniture]] (2008-2015)
 
** 1808-1810: [[Duke Brothers building]] (built 1922), former location of boarding house (1899), [[Jesse French Piano & Organ Company]] (1902), [[Birmingham Conservatory of Music]] (1903), [[Majestic Theater building]] (built 1906, demolished 1921), [[Majestic Theater]] (1906–1921), [[Duke Bros Furniture Co.]]  (1922–1928), [[Joiner Furniture Co.]] (1941), [[Jefferson Home Furniture]] (1964), [[Haverty's Furniture]] (1977), [[Superior Furniture]] (2008-2015)
 
*** 1808A: former location of [[Little Gem Cafe]] (1929-1941)
 
*** 1808A: former location of [[Little Gem Cafe]] (1929-1941)
*** 1810: former location of [[Loveman's|Loveman, Joseph & Loeb]] store room (1907),  [[Arnstein's French Dry Cleaning Co.]] (1925–1928), [[Burke Brothers Furniture]] (1929), [[Joiner Furniture]] (1931), [[Hardin Gold Bond]] clothier (1941), [[Mary Ball Candies]] (1949)
+
*** 1810: former location of [[Loveman's|Loveman, Joseph & Loeb]] store room (1905–1907),  [[Arnstein's French Dry Cleaning Co.]] (1925–1928), [[Burke Brothers Furniture]] (1929), [[Joiner Furniture]] (1931), [[Hardin Gold Bond]] clothier (1941), [[Mary Ball Candies]] (1949)
** 1812: [[Roberts & Sons Building]] (built 1897), [[Roberts & Sons]] printing and binding (1897–1929), [[Levin's Gents Furnishings]], lunch counter (1931), [[R. C. Brown]] credit clothier (1941), [[Epp's Jewelry]] (1964-1977)
+
** 1812: [[Roberts & Sons Building]] (built 1897), former location of [[Roberts & Sons]] printing and binding (1897–1929), [[Levin's Gents Furnishings]], lunch counter (1931), [[R. C. Brown]] credit clothier (1941), [[Epp's Jewelry]] (1964-1977)
 
** 1814–1824: [[Graves Building]] (built in 1904, 1912)
 
** 1814–1824: [[Graves Building]] (built in 1904, 1912)
 
*** 1814-1820: [[Graves Building]] (west half, built 1912)
 
*** 1814-1820: [[Graves Building]] (west half, built 1912)
 
**** 1814: former location of [[John M. Wright & Co.]] plumbing and heating (1891-1907), [[Clark & Jones Piano Co.]] / [[Clark & Jones Hall]] (1914-May 1917), [[Seals Piano Company]] (1923-1929), shooting gallery (1931), [[R. C. Brown]] clothing store, [[Dailey's]] clothier (1941), [[King Kredit]] clothing store (1964), [[Krown Kredit]] clothing store
 
**** 1814: former location of [[John M. Wright & Co.]] plumbing and heating (1891-1907), [[Clark & Jones Piano Co.]] / [[Clark & Jones Hall]] (1914-May 1917), [[Seals Piano Company]] (1923-1929), shooting gallery (1931), [[R. C. Brown]] clothing store, [[Dailey's]] clothier (1941), [[King Kredit]] clothing store (1964), [[Krown Kredit]] clothing store
**** 1816: former location of [[Joseph Gluck]] clothes cleaner (1907), [[Clarke-Burton Piano Company]] (1929), [[Dailey's Clothes]] (1931), [[Duke Bros. Furniture Co.]] (1941), [[Vaughan-Weil Department Store]] (1964), [[Mr King Furniture]] (1977)
+
**** 1816: former location of [[Joseph Gluck]] clothes cleaner (1905–1907), [[Clarke-Burton Piano Company]] (1929), [[Dailey's Clothes]] (1931), [[Duke Bros. Furniture Co.]] (1941), [[Vaughan-Weil Department Store]] (1964), [[Mr King Furniture]] (1977)
 
**** 1818-1820: former location of [[Kilgore Furniture Co.]] (1941)
 
**** 1818-1820: former location of [[Kilgore Furniture Co.]] (1941)
***** 1818: former location of harness store (1891), [[Cable Piano Company]], [[Columbia Graphophone Co.]] (1914), [[Williams Music House]] (1929), [[Duke Brothers Furniture]] (1931), [[Lawrence Furniture]] (1945), [[Lichter Furniture]] (1978–2007), [[The Playhouse]]
+
***** 1818: former location of harness store (1891), [[Moore Bros.]] elevators / [[Chattanooga Brewing Co.]] (1905), [[Cable Piano Company]], [[Columbia Graphophone Co.]] (1914), [[Williams Music House]] (1929), [[Duke Brothers Furniture]] (1931), [[Lawrence Furniture]] (1945), [[Lichter Furniture]] (1978–2007), [[The Playhouse]]
 
***** 1820: [[Wheelhouse Salon]] (2020), former location of furniture store (1891), [[C. A. Brake]] / [[Charles Schwend]] / [[Osce Roberts]] (1907), [[Starr Piano Company]] (1929), [[Kilgore Furniture]] (1931), [[Charles Schwend]] gun dealer, [[John Stamps]] attorney (2007), [[Forma Arts & Wellness]] (2018-)
 
***** 1820: [[Wheelhouse Salon]] (2020), former location of furniture store (1891), [[C. A. Brake]] / [[Charles Schwend]] / [[Osce Roberts]] (1907), [[Starr Piano Company]] (1929), [[Kilgore Furniture]] (1931), [[Charles Schwend]] gun dealer, [[John Stamps]] attorney (2007), [[Forma Arts & Wellness]] (2018-)
 
*** 1822-1824: [[Graves Building]] (east half, built 1904)
 
*** 1822-1824: [[Graves Building]] (east half, built 1904)
 
**** 1822: former location of [[A. J. Park]] / [[F. N. Houppert]] (1907), [[J. G. Warshaw]] restaurant (1910)
 
**** 1822: former location of [[A. J. Park]] / [[F. N. Houppert]] (1907), [[J. G. Warshaw]] restaurant (1910)
**** 1824: former location of [[Ozanne & Cody]] steam bakery & candy works (1891), [[Excelsior Cafe]] (1907–1915), [[Marsh Bakers]], [[The Vogue]] ladies wear (1929), [[The Olshine Co.]] ladies' clothes (1941), [[Oxman's Gifts]] (1964)
+
**** 1824: former location of [[Ozanne & Cody]] steam bakery & candy works (1891), [[Charles Cody|Charles W. Cody]] bakery (1905), [[Excelsior Cafe]] (1907–1915), [[Marsh Bakers]], [[The Vogue]] ladies wear (1929), [[The Olshine Co.]] ladies' clothes (1941), [[Oxman's Gifts]] (1964)
 
** 1826–1830: , former location of [[Wright Building]] / [[Woolworth Building]] (built 1883), [[Birmingham Post Office]], [[Central High School]], steam laundry, [[Gunn's Pharmacy]] (1915), [[Dan Cohen Shoe Co.]] (1929-1941), [[Darling Shop]] (1942-1949)
 
** 1826–1830: , former location of [[Wright Building]] / [[Woolworth Building]] (built 1883), [[Birmingham Post Office]], [[Central High School]], steam laundry, [[Gunn's Pharmacy]] (1915), [[Dan Cohen Shoe Co.]] (1929-1941), [[Darling Shop]] (1942-1949)
** 1826: [[Whitmire Lofts]], [[Revelator Coffee Co.]] (2014-), former location of bank (1891), [[Birmingham Railway Light & Power Co.]] waiting room / [[Sempedes Bros.]] (1907), [[Thom McAn]] shoes / [[Schiff's Family Shore Store]] (1964), [[JayMark Jewelry]], [[Snow's Wigs]], [[Amchex]] (2007)
+
** 1826: [[Whitmire Lofts]], [[Revelator Coffee Co.]] (2014-), former location of bank (1891), [[Nicholas Stathakes]] fruit (1905), [[Birmingham Railway Light & Power Co.]] waiting room (1905–1907), [[Sempedes Bros.]] (1907), [[Thom McAn]] shoes / [[Schiff's Family Shore Store]] (1964), [[JayMark Jewelry]], [[Snow's Wigs]], [[Amchex]] (2007)
 
** 1828-1830: parking lot
 
** 1828-1830: parking lot
  
Line 350: Line 350:
 
*** 1801: former location of vacant lot (1891), [[Dewberry Drug Co.]] (1929-1941), [[Alabama Cigar & Soda Company]] (c. 1959), House of $8.50 Eyeglasses (1964), [[City Action Partnership]] (2000s)
 
*** 1801: former location of vacant lot (1891), [[Dewberry Drug Co.]] (1929-1941), [[Alabama Cigar & Soda Company]] (c. 1959), House of $8.50 Eyeglasses (1964), [[City Action Partnership]] (2000s)
 
*** 1803: former location of [[Mansfield Hat Shop]] (1941), [[Mark's Hat Shop]] (1964), [[Don's Hair Care]] (2007)
 
*** 1803: former location of [[Mansfield Hat Shop]] (1941), [[Mark's Hat Shop]] (1964), [[Don's Hair Care]] (2007)
 +
**** 1803½: former location of [[E. B. Williams]] / [[Solomon Brintle|S. J. Brintle Investment Co.]] / [[J. E. Hart]] / [[M. W. Parsons]] / [[W. M. Bailey]] (1905)
 
*** 1805-1809: former location of [[Roberta's]] women's clothier (1957-1964)
 
*** 1805-1809: former location of [[Roberta's]] women's clothier (1957-1964)
 
**** 1805-1807: former location of dwelling (1891)
 
**** 1805-1807: former location of dwelling (1891)
***** 1805: former location of [[Children's Shop]] clothing (1941-1957)
+
***** 1805: former location of [[|Hammille Co.|Hammille Process & Manufacturing Co.]] commercial printers (1905), [[Children's Shop]] clothing (1941-1957)
***** 1807: former location of ''[[The Arbitrator]]'' newspaper (1904), [[Carousel Beauty Salon]] (1965-)
+
****** 1805½: former location of [[B. F. Cowart & Son]] (1905)
 +
***** 1807: former location of ''[[The Arbitrator]]'' newspaper (1904), [[Frank Bishop]] produce (1905), [[Carousel Beauty Salon]] (1965-)
 
**** 1807-1809: former location of [[Irvin Silverman]] chiropodist / [[Bertinol Products]] medicine manufacturers / [[Madame Evelyn's]] thrift shop & millinery salon (1941)
 
**** 1807-1809: former location of [[Irvin Silverman]] chiropodist / [[Bertinol Products]] medicine manufacturers / [[Madame Evelyn's]] thrift shop & millinery salon (1941)
 
*** 1809-1815: former location of [[Fies & Son]] livery stable (1891)
 
*** 1809-1815: former location of [[Fies & Son]] livery stable (1891)
**** 1811: [[Hill Arts Center]], former location of [[Goldstein Furs]] (1941)
+
**** 1809–1811: [[Cumberland Jones|Cumberland F. Jones]] shoemaker (1905)
***** 1811½: former offices of ''[[Wide-Awake]]'' (1900)
+
***** 1809: former location of [[Dee & Brown]] barbers (1905)
 +
***** 1811: [[Hill Arts Center]], former location of [[S. H. Scott & Co.]] (1905), [[Goldstein Furs]] (1941)
 +
****** 1811½: former offices of ''[[Wide-Awake]]'' (1900), [[William Martin]] boarding house / [[Benjamin Brightwell|Benjamin B. Brightwell]] tailor / Mrs [[A. C. Diffay]] barber (1905)
 
*** 1813-1817: [[Alabama Theatre]] building (built 1927)
 
*** 1813-1817: [[Alabama Theatre]] building (built 1927)
**** 1813: office space, former location of printer (1891), [[Hatchers American Cafe]] (1923)
+
**** 1813: office space, former location of printer (1891), [[Benjamin Brightwell|Benjamin B. Brightwell]] tailor (1905), [[Hatchers American Cafe]] (1923)
**** 1815: former location of plumbing company (1891), [[The Bonnet Box]] milliners (1941-1964)
+
**** 1815: former location of plumbing company (1891), [[R. Knauff & Co.]] plumbers (1905), [[The Bonnet Box]] milliners (1941-1964)
 
** 1817-1819: former location of the [[Magic City Steam Bottling Works]] (1885-1892)
 
** 1817-1819: former location of the [[Magic City Steam Bottling Works]] (1885-1892)
 
*** 1817: Alabama Theatre lobby, former location of carriageway (1891)
 
*** 1817: Alabama Theatre lobby, former location of carriageway (1891)

Revision as of 12:02, 2 August 2020

3rd Avenue North, looking east from 18th Street in October 1972
3rd Avenue North, looking northeast from 21st Street, c. 1911

Third Avenue North is an east-west street running through downtown Birmingham. The westernmost section by that name ends at Center Street, although the road continues further west as 3rd Avenue West. The easternmost section ends at 88th Street, just west of Roebuck Municipal Golf Course.

Third Avenue is continuous from Center Street to Carraway Boulevard (formerly 26th Street North). At that point, it is interrupted by the 2nd Avenue North off-ramp of the Elton B. Stephens Expressway and railroad tracks. The road is one way eastbound from 9th to 26th Street North. There is a short segment of 3rd on the west side of 28th Street North. The next segment curves from 29th Street northward to line up with 31st Street North across Messer Airport Highway.

The avenue does not appear again eastward until Forest Hills Cemetery next to the I-20/I-59 interchange. At this point, Richard Arrington, Jr. Boulevard North (formerly 10th Avenue North), becomes 3rd Avenue. Third then continues northeast with some gaps, notably at Trotwood Park, I-59, and East Lake Park, to 88th Street.

The two-way portion of 3rd Avenue from Center Street to 9th Avenue is five lanes wide. The one-way portion is four lanes from 9th to 14th Street North and three lanes from 14th to between 24th and 25th Street. At this point, the left lane becomes an on-ramp for the Elton B. Stephens Expressway. Throughout the 1970s and most of the 1980s, this on-ramp was the northernmost point to get on the expressway as it did not connect to I-20/I-59 at that time. Third Avenue continues as two lanes under the expressway to Carraway Boulevard. The rest of the road segments east of here are two lanes as well.

History

The initial commercial expansion on 3rd Avenue took place on the south side of the street during the 1880s between 20th and 21st Streets. Third Avenue was also where the first two county courthouses in Birmingham were built (at 21st Street). The courthouse attracted other development to the intersection where it was located, such as the Title Guaranty Building.

Three stores on the north side of the 1800 block (Block 72), modernized in 1961, were damaged in a major fire on the evening of December 17, 1970.

The first section of 3rd Avenue North to be converted from two-way to one-way (eastbound) traffic was from 14th Street North to Red Mountain Expressway. The one-way section was expanded westward to 9th Street North in 1973 by the Alabama Department of Transportation's TOPICS (Traffic Operations Program to Increase Capacity and Safety) program.

Notable locations

For an alphabetical list of locations, see the 3rd Avenue North category.

Smithfield neighborhood

••• 730: Furniture Warehouse / Premium Home Improvements / Shepard & Shepard desk rental (2007)

Fountain Heights

11th Street North

12th Street North

13th Street North

14th Street North

    • north side (Block 68):
      • 1400-1430: Edwards Chevrolet (1944-)
        • 1400-1402: former location of duplex residence (1891), former location of Trackside Gas Station (1941)
        • 1404-1406: former location of duplex residence (1891)
        • 1408-1410: former location of duplex residence (1891)
        • 1412: former location of dwelling (1891)
        • 1416: former location of dwelling (1891)
        • 1420: former location of dwelling (1891)
        • 1424: former location of dwelling (1891)
        • 1430: former location of dwelling (1891), Braswell Tire Co. (1941)
    • south side (Block 91):
      • 1401-1421: Edwards Chevrolet used car lot
        • 1401: former location of grocery (1891), Olin Maddis potter (1941)
        • 1403: former location of dwelling (1891)
        • 1407: former location of dwelling (1891)
        • 1409: former location of store attached to dwelling (1891)
        • 1411: former location of M. M. Nance bakery (1887), Robert Funk bakery (1888), dwelling (1891)
        • 1413: former location of dwelling (1891)
        • 1417: former location of dwelling (1891)
        • 1421: former location of dwelling (1891)
      • 1421-1427: former location of Baker's Frozen Sweets (1941), Baker's Ice Cream Co. (1964)
        • 1423: former location of dwelling (1891)
        • 1427: former location of dwelling (1891)
      • 1429-1431: former location of Canon Tire Co. (1964)
        • 1431: former location of dwelling (1891)

15th Street North

16th Street North

Pantages Theatre in 1945

17th Street North

Parisian in the 1920s
The Lyric Theatre in 1930

18th Street North

Central City

1926 photograph of 3rd Avenue North, looking east from the 1900 block
Postcard view of 3rd Avenue North, looking west from 20th Street

19th Street North

This block was described in 1900 as "occupied by one-story buildings used for negro restaurants, barber shops, etc."
The Empire Theater in 1981

20th Street North

21st Street North

22nd Street North

23rd Street North

24th Street North

25th Street North

References

  • White, Marjorie Longenecker, ed. (1980) Downtown Birmingham: Architectural and Historical Walking Tour Guide, second edition. Birmingham: Birmingham Historical Society.
  • R.L. Polk & Co. (1919) "R.L. Polk & Co.'s Birmingham City Directory"
  • Polk's Birmingham (Jefferson County, Ala.) City Directory (1964) Richmond, Virginia: R. L. Polk & Co.

External links

3rd Avenue North on Google Maps