Difference between revisions of "4th Avenue South"

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(Southside neighborhood)
Line 249: Line 249:
 
* [[28th Street South]] intersection
 
* [[28th Street South]] intersection
 
** 2801–2807: [[Holt AV]]
 
** 2801–2807: [[Holt AV]]
** 2815: [[Mike's Shop]] auto repair (2021–), former location of [[The First Born Church]] (1959)
+
** 2815: [[Mike's Shop]] auto repair (2021–), former location of [[The First Born Church]] (1959, 1971)
 
** 2817: former location of [[Church & Kingdom of God]] (1935), [[Southside Chiropractic Clinic]] ([[Joseph Francis]] 1959)
 
** 2817: former location of [[Church & Kingdom of God]] (1935), [[Southside Chiropractic Clinic]] ([[Joseph Francis]] 1959)
 
** 2828: [[Ironworkers Local 92]]
 
** 2828: [[Ironworkers Local 92]]

Revision as of 08:00, 24 June 2022

4th Avenue South (originally Avenue D) is an east-west avenue in Birmingham. The two most traveled sections link the Five Points South, Southside, and Forest Park neighborhoods and the East Lake, South East Lake, and Roebuck Springs neighborhoods. The former section is one-way eastbound from the Interstate 65 off-ramp that feeds directly into it at 11th Avenue South all the way to 36th Street South. The one-way section is also part of U. S. Highway 78 from 24th to 36th Street.

History

4th Avenue South from 14th Street to 32nd Street was converted to one-way (eastbound) traffic in August 1955.

The one-way section was extended westward to I-65 in 1973 by the Alabama Department of Transportation's TOPICS (Traffic Operations Program to Increase Capacity and Safety) program.

Notable locations

For an alphabetical list of locations, see the 4th Avenue South category.

North Titusville

Five Points South neighborhood

  • Interstate 65 southbound off ramp (road begins)
    • north side (Block 279):
      • 1018-1920: former location of dwelling (1891)
      • 1022: former location of dwelling (1891)
      • 1024: former location of dwelling (1891)
      • 1026: former location of dwelling (1891)
      • 1028: former location of Mrs M. A. Nightengale boarding house (1899)
      • 1030: former location of Pilgrim Baptist Church (1935), McCarmel Baptist Church [sic] (1959)
    • south side (Block 278):
      • 1009: former location of dwelling (1891)
      • 1011: former location of dwelling (1891)
      • 1013: former location of dwelling (1891)
      • 1015: former location of dwelling (1891)
      • 1017: former location of dwelling (1891)
      • 1019: former location of dwelling (1891)
      • 1021: former location of dwelling (1891)
      • 1023: former location of dwelling (1891)
      • 1025: former location of dwelling (1891)
      • 1027: former location of drug store (1891)
      • 1029: former location of dry goods (1891), L. H. Kirk & Son meat market (1899)
      • 1031: former location of grocery store (1891) J. Matthews grocery store (1899)
  • 11th Street South intersection
    • north side (Block 270):
      • 1100: former location of dwelling (1891)
      • 1102: former location of dwelling (1891)
      • 1104: former location of dwelling (1891)
      • 1106: former location of dwelling (1891)
      • 1108: former location of dwelling (1891)
      • 1110: former location of dwelling (1891)
      • 1112-1114: former location of dwelling (1891)
      • 1126-1130: Ted's Restaurant
    • south side (Block 271):

Southside neighborhood

Forest Park-South Avondale

Forest Park/East Avondale

East Avondale

  • 46th Street South intersection (road begins)

East Lake

  • 66th Street South intersection (road dead ends to west)
    • residential
  • Dublin Avenue intersection (road dead ends to east as Dublin Terrace)

South East Lake

Roebuck Springs

  • Avenue ends at Parkway East (addresses from 9000–9265 4th Avenue South are now on Parkway East)
To north:
6th Avenue North
Interstate 65 southbound exits
4th Avenue South
To south:
6th Avenue South