Difference between revisions of "6th Avenue North"

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(Notable locations)
(Notable locations)
Line 127: Line 127:
  
 
* [[18th Street North]] intersects
 
* [[18th Street North]] intersects
** north side:
+
** north side ([[Block 35]]):
 
*** 1800–1830: [[AT&T City Center]]
 
*** 1800–1830: [[AT&T City Center]]
 
**** 1800: former location of [[6th Avenue Presbyterian Church]] (1953)
 
**** 1800: former location of [[6th Avenue Presbyterian Church]] (1953)
** south side:
+
** south side ([[Block 46]]):
 
*** 1801: former location of [[North Alabama Conference of the Methodist Church]]
 
*** 1801: former location of [[North Alabama Conference of the Methodist Church]]
 
*** 1803: former location of [[Jerome Hagan]] manufacturers agent / [[Alabama Motorist's Service Agency]] (1953)
 
*** 1803: former location of [[Jerome Hagan]] manufacturers agent / [[Alabama Motorist's Service Agency]] (1953)
Line 145: Line 145:
 
*** 1920: former location of [[City Hall Station]] auto parking (1953)
 
*** 1920: former location of [[City Hall Station]] auto parking (1953)
 
*** 1924–1930: [[Family Reserve Insurance building]] (built 1946), former location of the [[A. W. Smith residence]]
 
*** 1924–1930: [[Family Reserve Insurance building]] (built 1946), former location of the [[A. W. Smith residence]]
** south side:
+
** south side ([[Block 47]]):
 
*** 1901: [[Regions-Harbert Plaza]] (former site of [[Masonic Temple Building]] containing [[Loew's Temple Theater]])
 
*** 1901: [[Regions-Harbert Plaza]] (former site of [[Masonic Temple Building]] containing [[Loew's Temple Theater]])
 
*** 1919: former location of [[Temple Parking Lot]] (1953)
 
*** 1919: former location of [[Temple Parking Lot]] (1953)
Line 152: Line 152:
  
 
* [[20th Street North]] intersects
 
* [[20th Street North]] intersects
** north side:
+
** north side ([[Block 33]]):
 
*** 2000–2010: [[Birmingham Board of Education]] parking deck, former location of [[Capitol Park Garage]] (1953)
 
*** 2000–2010: [[Birmingham Board of Education]] parking deck, former location of [[Capitol Park Garage]] (1953)
 
*** 2012-2014: [[Crow Building]]
 
*** 2012-2014: [[Crow Building]]
Line 161: Line 161:
 
**** 2028: former location of [[L. J. Clark Realty Co.]] (1953)
 
**** 2028: former location of [[L. J. Clark Realty Co.]] (1953)
 
**** 2030: former location of [[Ridgely Pharmacy]] (1953)
 
**** 2030: former location of [[Ridgely Pharmacy]] (1953)
** south side:
+
** south side ([[Block 48]]):
 
*** 2001–2013: [[Cathedral Church of the Advent]] (built 1880s)
 
*** 2001–2013: [[Cathedral Church of the Advent]] (built 1880s)
 
*** 2015: [[Cathedral Church of the Advent]] Parish House
 
*** 2015: [[Cathedral Church of the Advent]] Parish House
Line 170: Line 170:
  
 
* [[Richard Arrington Jr Boulevard North]] intersects
 
* [[Richard Arrington Jr Boulevard North]] intersects
** north side:
+
** north side ([[Block 32]]):
 
*** 2100–2130: former proposed site of [[Robert E. Lee Klan]] meeting hall (1924), former location of [[Essex House]] apartments / [[Daniel-Branscomb Tower]], [[Downtown Club]], [[Dale's Cellar]]
 
*** 2100–2130: former proposed site of [[Robert E. Lee Klan]] meeting hall (1924), former location of [[Essex House]] apartments / [[Daniel-Branscomb Tower]], [[Downtown Club]], [[Dale's Cellar]]
 
**** 2100–2108: [[Energen Plaza]] (built 1998)
 
**** 2100–2108: [[Energen Plaza]] (built 1998)
Line 178: Line 178:
 
***** 2116: former location of [[Dixie Drive-It-Yourself System]] (1953)
 
***** 2116: former location of [[Dixie Drive-It-Yourself System]] (1953)
 
***** 2130: former location of the [[T. L. Hudgins residence]])
 
***** 2130: former location of the [[T. L. Hudgins residence]])
** south side:
+
** south side ([[Block 49]]):
 
*** 2101-2109: [[Colonial Plaza]] (built 1982)
 
*** 2101-2109: [[Colonial Plaza]] (built 1982)
 
**** 2101: former location of the [[Red Room]] bar (1973)
 
**** 2101: former location of the [[Red Room]] bar (1973)
Line 188: Line 188:
  
 
* [[22nd Street North]] intersects
 
* [[22nd Street North]] intersects
** north side:
+
** north side ([[Block 31]]):
 
*** [[Park Place (Hope VI project)]] (built 2004), former location of [[Metropolitan Gardens]] (1940–2002)
 
*** [[Park Place (Hope VI project)]] (built 2004), former location of [[Metropolitan Gardens]] (1940–2002)
** south side:
+
** south side ([[Block 50]]):
 
*** 2201–2231: parking lot
 
*** 2201–2231: parking lot
 
**** 2201: former location of [[First Baptist Church of Birmingham]] (1872–1984)
 
**** 2201: former location of [[First Baptist Church of Birmingham]] (1872–1984)

Revision as of 06:29, 22 October 2020

Sixth Avenue North is an east-west street running through downtown Birmingham. The westernmost section by that name ends at Center Street, although the road continues further west as 6th Avenue West. The main section ends at Carraway Boulevard in the east, although additional segments can be found further east, particularly in East Lake.

Between 9th Street North and Carraway Boulevard, 6th Avenue is one way westbound and three lanes wide. At the east end, off-ramps from Interstate 20/59, both east- and westbound exit in line with 6th Avenue. An Interstate 65 south off-ramp ends at 6th Avenue feeding into 10th Avenue North while an I-65 north on-ramp splits from 11th Avenue North just north of 6th Avenue.

History

Electric lights were installed on 6th Avenue North from 17th to 25th Street in 1945 under the city's contract with the Birmingham Electric Company.

6th Avenue North was converted from two-way to one-way (westbound) traffic was from Red Mountain Expressway to 9th Street North in 1973 by the Alabama Department of Transportation's TOPICS (Traffic Operations Program to Increase Capacity and Safety) program.

Notable locations

For an alphabetical list of locations, see the 6th Avenue North category.
  • 15th Street North intersects
    • north side (Block 38):
      • 1500–1506: St Paul United Methodist Church (built 1951), former location of residence (1891)
        • 1500–1502: St Paul United Methodist Church (built 1896, demolished 1902; built 1904, demolished 1920)
        • 1504: former location of residence (1902–1911)
        • 1506: former location of residence (1902–1911)
      • 1508–1524: parking lot for St Paul United Methodist Church
        • 1508–1510: former location of duplex residence (1902–1911)
        • 1512–1518: former location of "negro shanties" (1891)
          • 1512–1514: former location of residence (1902), duplex residence (1911)
          • 1516–1518: former location of residence (1902), duplex residence (1911)
        • 1520–1524: former location of residence (1891–1911)
      • 1526: 16th Street Baptist Church parsonage (built 1911), former location of residence (1891–1902)
      • 1528–1530: 16th Street Baptist Church (1882–, present building built 1911)
    • south side (Block 43):
      • 1501–1531: Birmingham Civil Rights Institute (built 1992)
        • 1501: former location of "ruins of fire" (1891), drug store (1911)
        • 1503: former location of store (1911), St Paul Methodist Church clinic (1953)
        • 1505: former location of residence (1891–1911)
        • 1507: former location of residence (1911)
        • 1509: former location of residence (1891–1911)
        • 1511: former location of residence (1911)
        • 1515: former location of residence (1911)
        • 1517: former location of residence (1891–1911)
        • 1519: former location of residence (1891–1911)
        • 1521–1531: former location of vacant lot (1951)
          • 1521: former location of residence (1891–1911, demolished before 1951)
          • 1525: former location of store (1911, demolished before 1951)
          • 1527: former location of store (1911, demolished before 1951)
          • 1529: former location of store (1911, demolished before 1951)
          • 1531: former location of grocery (1891), store (1911, demolished before 1951)
  • 16th Street North intersects
    • north side (Block 37):
      • 1600–1604: former location of two-story commercial building
      • 1606: former location of residence (1902)
      • 1608: former location of residence (1891–1951)
      • 1610: former location of residence (1891–1951)
      • 1612: former location of residence (1891–1951)
      • 1614–1616: former location of duplex residence (1891–1902), one-story brick meeting hall (built 1947), former location of Painters Union Local No. 5 (1953)
      • 1620: former location of residence (1891–1951)
      • 1624–1630: former location of residence (1891–1902)
    • south side (Block 44):
  • 25th Street North intersects
    • north side:
      • Park Place (Hope VI project) (built 2004), former location of Metropolitan Gardens (1940–2002)
    • south side:
      • Park Place (Hope VI project) (built 2004), former location of Metropolitan Gardens (1940–2002)
To north:
I-20/59
Interstate 65 southbound exits
6th Avenue North
To south:
4th Avenue South