Revision as of 12:40, 12 October 2019 by Dystopos
August 21 in the history of the Birmingham District:
- 2009: Kelley's Neighborhood Sports Grill opened in Lakeview.
- 2009: CapitalSouth Bank failed.
- 2007: Curtis Raymond Carlisle was convicted of the 1992 murder of Letitia Franks.
- 2005: Baseball player Seth Bobbitt was promoted to the Braves' AA-affiliate in Mississippi.
- 1983: Wanda Jones was abducted from the Baby Doe's Matchless Mine parking lot.
- 1926: The feature film "Men of Steel," filmed in Ensley, enjoyed a record-breaking Birmingham premiere at the Lyric Theatre.
- 1884: Management of the newly-built Florence Hotel was taken over by J. T. Nixon.
- 1968: Chef, food stylist and drummer Tonya West was born.
- 1951: Pulitzer Prize-winning Birmingham News editorial writer Ron Casey was born in Midfield.
- 1939: Fabric artist Toni Tully was born in Little Rock, Arkansas.
- 1921: Sailor and Pearl Harbor victim Julius Ellsberry was born in Birmingham.
- 1855: Hotelier, developer and newspaper publisher Emil Lesser was born in Riga, Russian Empire.
- 1839: Merchant and weather reporter Ben Jacobs was born.
- 1908: Legislator Chambers McAdory died in Birmingham.
- 1893: Disciples of Christ minister Robert Van Hook died in Birmingham.