Difference between revisions of "Birmingham Fire Station No. 10"

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 10: Line 10:
 
In [[1990]] the building was added to the [[National Register of Historic Places]] as part of a group of [[Birmingham's Historic Fire Stations]]. Based on a [[2003]] study by Firescope, Inc, the department made plans to combine the operations of Station No. 10 and [[Birmingham Fire Station No. 22]] on [[Clairmont Avenue]]. A new [[Birmingham Fire Station No. 10/22]] was opened on [[July 1]], [[2009]].
 
In [[1990]] the building was added to the [[National Register of Historic Places]] as part of a group of [[Birmingham's Historic Fire Stations]]. Based on a [[2003]] study by Firescope, Inc, the department made plans to combine the operations of Station No. 10 and [[Birmingham Fire Station No. 22]] on [[Clairmont Avenue]]. A new [[Birmingham Fire Station No. 10/22]] was opened on [[July 1]], [[2009]].
  
The city began soliciting proposals to purchase Station No. 10 in [[2010]].
+
The city began soliciting proposals to purchase Station No. 10 in [[2010]]. In [[2014]] [[ABC Consultants]] purchased the building to renovate as its new headquarters office.
  
 
==References==
 
==References==

Revision as of 09:58, 8 September 2014

Station No. 10 in 1925

Birmingham Fire Station No. 10 (also called the Avondale Fire Station) is a former Birmingham Fire Department station located at 4120 2nd Avenue South in Avondale.

In 1910 the Avondale Fire Department was absorbed into the Birmingham Fire Department as Company No. 10, operating out of the Avondale Fire Station, built by the formerly-independent city. The new building was part of the city's expansion of public safety services into residential neighborhoods. It was designed in the Spanish mission style by architect George P. Turner, and completed in 1926.

Since the 1920s the building has been significantly expanded and altered. Two truck bays and a new entrance area were added to the west side of the building while the former garage bay was enclosed for other uses. The octagonal cupola was removed at some point, probably because it had been damaged, and the tile roof replaced with asphalt shingles.

Former Station No. 10 Today

In 1990 the building was added to the National Register of Historic Places as part of a group of Birmingham's Historic Fire Stations. Based on a 2003 study by Firescope, Inc, the department made plans to combine the operations of Station No. 10 and Birmingham Fire Station No. 22 on Clairmont Avenue. A new Birmingham Fire Station No. 10/22 was opened on July 1, 2009.

The city began soliciting proposals to purchase Station No. 10 in 2010. In 2014 ABC Consultants purchased the building to renovate as its new headquarters office.

References

  • Tomberlin, Michael (July 2, 2010) "Another venerable Birmingham fire station on the block." Birmingham News

External links