Birmingham Fire Station No. 2
Birmingham Fire Station No. 2 (formerly the Southside Fire Station) is a fire station operated by the Birmingham Fire and Rescue Service and located on the southwest corner of 6th Avenue and 11th Street South. It serves the Southside/UAB area as well as responding to calls Downtown and Greensprings when necessary.
The station was one of two created with the formation of the city's first professional fire department in 1885. It served the South Side from space provided in the City Market, a commercial block developed by saloon keeper George Raps on the northeast corner of 19th Street and Avenue D. The company named their steam-driven pump wagon, the second in the city, Nellie R. Raps, after his daughter. In return, Raps provided the company with newly-made blue cashmere uniforms.
Alf Brown was appointed captain of Engine Company No. 2 on September 1, 1906. He was assisted by engineer T. A. Cummins and nine others in the company. The five-man Truck Company No. 2 was commanded by J. M. Lovelace during the same period. Jim Teeter, driver of the Nellie Raps, was later promoted to Captain of Hose Company No. 6.
After switching to diesel-powered equipment, the station relocated to a new building at 1900 4th Avenue South. That building was repaired and repainted by workers for the Civil Works Administration in the early 1930s. The property was later sold to the Holy Trinity-Holy Cross Greek Orthodox Cathedral.
- Engine 2
- Truck 2
- Heavy Rescue 2
- SCBA Specialist
- "The Fire Service: Intelligent Animals that Help Make it Effective: How the Southside Horses Respond to Calls Like Human Beings—A Ride With Chief Gafford" (July 31, 1889) The Weekly Age - via Birmingham Public Library Digital Collections
- Laughlin, Jerry W. (1974) Bama Burning: Fourteen Famous Fires in Alabama. self-published
- Coman, Victoria L. (December 8, 1999) "Chickens make home at fire station." Birmingham News
- Coman, Victoria L. (March 29, 2000) "Station's chickens fly coop." Birmingham News
- Birmingham Fire Station No. 2 at Birmingham Retired Firefighters of Local 117 website