Birmingham Fire Station No. 2

From Bhamwiki
Revision as of 12:17, 25 January 2017 by Jared Johnson (Talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search

Birmingham Fire Station No. 2 (formerly the Southside Fire Station) is a fire station operated by the Birmingham Fire and Rescue Service and located on the southwest corner of 6th Avenue and 11th Street South. It serves the Southside/UAB area as well as responding to calls Downtown and Greensprings when necessary.


The station was one of two created with the formation of the city's first professional fire department in 1885. It served the South Side from space provided in the City Market, a commercial block developed by saloon keeper George Raps on the northeast corner of 19th Street and Avenue D. The company named their steam-driven pump wagon, the second in the city, Nellie R. Raps, after his daughter. In return, Raps provided the company with newly-made blue cashmere uniforms.

The original Southside Fire Station in the City Market

Alf Brown was appointed captain of Engine Company No. 2 on September 1, 1906. He was assisted by engineer T. A. Cummins and nine others in the company. The five-man Truck Company No. 2 was commanded by J. M. Lovelace during the same period. Jim Teeter, driver of the Nellie Raps, was later promoted to Captain of Hose Company No. 6.

After switching to diesel-powered equipment, the station relocated to a new building at 1900 4th Avenue South. That building was repaired and repainted by workers for the Civil Works Administration in the early 1930s. The property was later sold to the Holy Trinity-Holy Cross Greek Orthodox Cathedral.

A new brick station building and training center was constructed near I-65 and the UAB campus in 1986.


  • Engine 2
  • Truck 2 - 2016 Stuphen SL100 Platform
  • Heavy Rescue 2
  • SCBA Specialist


  • Coman, Victoria L. (December 8, 1999) "Chickens make home at fire station." Birmingham News
  • Coman, Victoria L. (March 29, 2000) "Station's chickens fly coop." Birmingham News

External links