Central Iron Works

From Bhamwiki
Revision as of 11:19, 31 July 2010 by Dystopos (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
Central Iron Works

The Central Iron Works was a rolling mill first constructed along Buck Creek in what is now Helena by Hannon, Offutt & Company of Montgomery during the Civil War. Ironmaster Thomas Alvis of Virginia superintended its construction. It was completed only shortly before the arrival of Wilson's Raiders, who destroyed the works on March 30, 1865.

In 1872, Rufus Cobb, B. B. Lewis and Richard Fell purchased the property at a tax sale and organized a new Central Iron Works Company, that began operations in 1873. The principal product of the mill was the Alabama Loop Cotton Tie, patented by Cobb.

A historical marker designating the former site of the mill can be found on Lake Davidson Lane, just off Alabama State Highway 261 north of Old Town Helena. It was erected in 1982 by the Alabama Historic Ironworks Commission and the City of Helena.

References

  • Penhale, Ken and Martin Everse (1998) Helena, Alabama. Images of America Series. Mount Pleasant, South Carolina: Arcadia Press. ISBN 9780738552804