Curry Elementary School
|Curry Elementary School|
|District||Birmingham City Schools|
|Location||7900 8th Avenue North, (map)|
J. L. M. Curry School, later Curry Elementary School, was an elementary school located at 7900 8th Avenue North in Birmingham's North East Lake neighborhood, just east of Birmingham Municipal Airport. It was named for former Howard College president Jabez L. M. Curry.
The first school building was constructed in 1929, but was soon expanded with wings to the north and south. It was expanded again with a new wing dedicated on March 18, 1954. Four boys, aged 12 to 14, trashed the building in July 1955, breaking hundreds of windows, smashing a piano, destroying an electronic clock, and scattering books and materials all over the floors. The vandals were caught and were required to assist in cleaning up the damage.
In 1959 the "Schott System" for learning arithmetic was introduced at Curry Elementary.
The school was closed as part of a system-wide downsizing in 2007. The building was demolished in 2011.
- George Cox, 1929-1930
- Foster Ansley, 1945
- Fannie Mae Riddle, 1953-1965
- Herbert Hanes, 1967
- Eugene Samples, 1976
- Murphy, Alice (July 14, 1955) "Who's to blame for boys' vandalism? Many may ask themselves question" The Birmingham News - via Birmingham Public Library Digital Collections
- Cook, George (July 19, 1955) "Four Vandals Help Clean Up Wreckage" Birmingham Post-Herald - via Birmingham Public Library Digital Collections