Difference between revisions of "Davis Architects"

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(Projects)
(Projects: update on Samford)
 
Line 18: Line 18:
 
* [[Gardendale High School]], 1957
 
* [[Gardendale High School]], 1957
 
* Stringfellow Memorial Hospital, Anniston, 1958
 
* Stringfellow Memorial Hospital, Anniston, 1958
* [[Samford University|Howard College]] Shades Valley campus, 1950s
+
* [[Samford University|Howard College]] Shades Valley campus, 1950s, and most later additions (renamed Samford University since 1965)
 
* Additions to [[New Pilgrim Baptist Church]], 1959, 1961
 
* Additions to [[New Pilgrim Baptist Church]], 1959, 1961
 
* [[Yeilding Chapel]] at [[Birmingham-Southern College]], 1967
 
* [[Yeilding Chapel]] at [[Birmingham-Southern College]], 1967

Latest revision as of 17:39, 6 June 2020

Davis Architects logo.png

Davis Architects is Birmingham's oldest active architecture firm, with offices in the historic Birmingham Electric Battery Company (BEBCO) warehouse on 2nd Avenue South. The growing firm consists of 30 employees.

The firm was founded as the office of E. B. Van Keuren in 1912. Charles F. Davis Jr and his wife, Helen Davis, joined the firm in 1939 and became partners in 1946, at which point the name was changed to E. B. Van Keuren & Chas. F. Davis Jr, with offices in rooms 211-221 of the American Life Building.

Paul M. Speake and J. Marion Thrasher joined later in 1949, leading the firm to change its name again, to Van Keuren, Davis and Company, with offices at 3004 7th Avenue South.

In 1961 it was renamed Davis, Speake & Thrasher, then Davis, Speake & Associates in 1976. Davis' son Neil Davis joined the firm that year and gradually took on the role of lead principal. In 1986 the present name was chosen.

The firm has won a Preservation Award from the Birmingham Historical Society for its renovations to its own office space in the former BEBCO warehouse.

Projects

External links