Difference between revisions of "Denechaud House"

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(New page: The '''Denechaud House''', originally the '''Denechaud European Hotel and Restaurant''' was a hotel located at 2107 2nd Avenue North in downtown Birmingham. The property, owned by ...)
 
Line 1: Line 1:
The '''Denechaud House''', originally the '''Denechaud European Hotel and Restaurant''' was a hotel located at 2107 [[2nd Avenue North]] in downtown [[Birmingham]]. The property, owned by New Orleans hotelier E. F. Denechaud and operated by his sons [[Edward Denechaud|Edward]] and [[Louis Denechaud|Louis]], opened in [[1887]].
+
[[Image:Denechaud House.jpg|right|thumb|375px|Denechaud House in 2010. [http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5004518688/in/photostream/ Photo by Cougar_6]]]
 +
The '''Denechaud House''', originally the '''Denechaud European Hotel and Restaurant''' was a hotel located at 2107 [[2nd Avenue North]], adjoining the [[Florentine Building]] in [[downtown Birmingham]]. The property, owned by New Orleans hotelier E. F. Denechaud and operated by his sons [[Edward Denechaud|Edward]] and [[Louis Denechaud|Louis]], opened in [[1887]].
  
The hotel survived only two years, with the sons returning to New Orleans to help operate the flagship hotel on Poydras Street, now called "Le Pavillon".
+
The hotel survived only two years, with the sons returning to New Orleans to help operate their father's business. After the hotel's closure, the building has housed a sewing machine company, a paint supply store, apartments, and a furniture store. Extensive work in [[1985]] and [[1986]] restored the historic facade as well as the painted sign high on the building's east wall, long hidden behind an adjacent structure.
  
After the hotel's closure, the building has housed a sewing machine company, a paint supply store, apartments, a furniture store, an architecture firm and a law office. Extensive work in [[1985]] and [[1986]] restored the historic facade as well as the painted sign high on the building's east wall, long hidden behind an adjacent structure.
+
From [[1993]] to [[2002]] [[Designform]] architects had offices in the Denechaud House. It is currently the home of [[Comer & Upshaw]] attorneys.
  
 
==References==
 
==References==

Revision as of 06:41, 9 December 2012

Denechaud House in 2010. Photo by Cougar_6

The Denechaud House, originally the Denechaud European Hotel and Restaurant was a hotel located at 2107 2nd Avenue North, adjoining the Florentine Building in downtown Birmingham. The property, owned by New Orleans hotelier E. F. Denechaud and operated by his sons Edward and Louis, opened in 1887.

The hotel survived only two years, with the sons returning to New Orleans to help operate their father's business. After the hotel's closure, the building has housed a sewing machine company, a paint supply store, apartments, and a furniture store. Extensive work in 1985 and 1986 restored the historic facade as well as the painted sign high on the building's east wall, long hidden behind an adjacent structure.

From 1993 to 2002 Designform architects had offices in the Denechaud House. It is currently the home of Comer & Upshaw attorneys.

References