Difference between revisions of "Denechaud House"

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 1: Line 1:
 
[[Image:Denechaud House.jpg|right|thumb|375px|Denechaud House in 2010. [http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5004518688/in/photostream/ Photo by Cougar_6]]]
 
[[Image:Denechaud House.jpg|right|thumb|375px|Denechaud House in 2010. [http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5004518688/in/photostream/ Photo by Cougar_6]]]
The '''Denechaud House''', originally the '''Denechaud European Hotel and Restaurant''' was a hotel located at 2107 [[2nd Avenue North]], adjoining the [[Florentine Building]] in [[downtown Birmingham]]. The property, owned by New Orleans hotelier E. F. Denechaud and operated by his sons [[Edward Denechaud|Edward]] and [[Louis Denechaud|Louis]], opened in [[1887]].
+
The '''Denechaud House''', originally the '''Denechaud European Hotel and Restaurant''' was a hotel located at 2107 [[2nd Avenue North]], adjoining the [[Florentine Building]] in [[downtown Birmingham]]. The property, owned by New Orleans hotelier E. F. Denechaud and operated by his sons [[Edward Denechaud|Edward]] and [[Louis Denechaud|Louis]], opened in [[1887]]. The building featured one of the most elaborate cornices in town, matched in ornateness by the window surrounds on the front.
  
The hotel survived only two years, with the sons returning to New Orleans to help operate their father's business. After the hotel's closure, the building has housed a sewing machine company, a paint supply store, apartments, and a furniture store. Extensive work in [[1985]] and [[1986]] restored the historic facade as well as the painted sign high on the building's east wall, long hidden behind an adjacent structure.
+
The hotel survived only two years, with the sons returning to New Orleans to help operate their father's business. After the hotel's closure, the building has housed a sewing machine company, a paint supply store, apartments, and a furniture store. In the late 1970s, the ground floor was occupied by the [[Peoples Loan Co.]]. Extensive work in [[1985]] and [[1986]] restored the historic facade as well as the painted sign high on the building's east wall, long hidden behind an adjacent structure.
  
 
From [[1993]]  to [[2002]] [[Designform]] architects had offices in the Denechaud House. It is currently the home of [[Comer & Upshaw]] attorneys.
 
From [[1993]]  to [[2002]] [[Designform]] architects had offices in the Denechaud House. It is currently the home of [[Comer & Upshaw]] attorneys.
  
 
==References==
 
==References==
 +
* {{White-1977}}
 
* {{Buchanan-2012}}
 
* {{Buchanan-2012}}
  

Revision as of 07:02, 9 December 2012

Denechaud House in 2010. Photo by Cougar_6

The Denechaud House, originally the Denechaud European Hotel and Restaurant was a hotel located at 2107 2nd Avenue North, adjoining the Florentine Building in downtown Birmingham. The property, owned by New Orleans hotelier E. F. Denechaud and operated by his sons Edward and Louis, opened in 1887. The building featured one of the most elaborate cornices in town, matched in ornateness by the window surrounds on the front.

The hotel survived only two years, with the sons returning to New Orleans to help operate their father's business. After the hotel's closure, the building has housed a sewing machine company, a paint supply store, apartments, and a furniture store. In the late 1970s, the ground floor was occupied by the Peoples Loan Co.. Extensive work in 1985 and 1986 restored the historic facade as well as the painted sign high on the building's east wall, long hidden behind an adjacent structure.

From 1993 to 2002 Designform architects had offices in the Denechaud House. It is currently the home of Comer & Upshaw attorneys.

References