Difference between revisions of "Elmwood Cemetery"

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 93: Line 93:
[[Category:1880s establishments]]
[[Category:1880s establishments]]
[[Category:Jefferson County cemeteries]]
[[Category:Birmingham cemeteries]]
[[Category:Martin Luther King Jr Drive]]
[[Category:Martin Luther King Jr Drive]]
[[Category:Elmwood burials|*]]
[[Category:Elmwood burials|*]]

Latest revision as of 13:19, 26 April 2020

Elmwood Cemetery and Mausoleum is a 412 acre cemetery established in the 1880s (as Elm Leaf Cemetery) in the West End neighborhood of Birmingham by a group of Fraternal organizations.

It was taken over by the Jemison Real Estate in the early 1900s and renamed in 1906. The more spacious and modern Elmwood gradually eclipsed Oak Hill Cemetery as the most prominent burial place in the city. As of 2002, it was ranked the 12th largest cemetery in the nation.

The cemetery is roughly bounded by Martin Luther King Jr Drive, Dennison Avenue Southwest, 14th Place Southwest, and railroad tracks. The main entrance is directly across from 6th Avenue Southwest.

The first recorded burial was of Annie Cleveland, an eight month old girl, in October 28, 1900. The Lackey family constructed a funeral chapel for Johns-Ridouts Mortuary adjoining the cemetery at 800 Dennison Avenue Southwest in 1962.

Originally, the cemetery was whites-only. It was was integrated in 1970 after Vietnam War veteran Bill Terry Jr's family won a federal lawsuit barring the owners from discriminating based on race. There are currently over 126,000 individuals interred at Elmwood.

Notable burials

External links