Difference between revisions of "English Village"

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
 
Line 1: Line 1:
[[Image:English Village by Bob Moody.jpg|right|thumb|375px|Watercolor illustration of English Village by artist [[Bob Moody]] ([http://www.moodywatercolors.com/p/birmingham-series.html link])]]
+
[[Image:English Village by Bob Moody.jpg|right|thumb|450px|Watercolor illustration of English Village by artist [[Bob Moody]] ([http://www.moodywatercolors.com/p/birmingham-series.html link])]]
'''English Village''', along with [[Mountain Brook Village]] and [[Crestline Village]], is one of three "[[Mountain Brook villages|village]]" commercial districts in [[Mountain Brook]].  English Village is located on the southern slope of [[Red Mountain]], along [[Cahaba Road]] around [[20th Avenue South|20th]] and [[21st Avenue South|21st Avenues South]], in a small spur of northwest Mountain Brook surrounded largely by the [[Birmingham]] city limits.
+
'''English Village''', along with [[Mountain Brook Village]] and [[Crestline Village]], is one of three "[[Mountain Brook villages|village]]" commercial districts in [[Mountain Brook]].  English Village is located on the southern slope of [[Red Mountain]], along [[Cahaba Road]] (formerly Pump House Road) around [[20th Avenue South|20th]] and [[21st Avenue South|21st Avenues South]], in a small spur of northwest Mountain Brook surrounded largely by the [[Birmingham]] city limits.
  
 
== History ==
 
== History ==
English Village formed in the 1920s and 1930s near the site of the older [[Hedona]] mine camp and [[Birmingham Mineral Railroad]] stop. It originally hosted four filling stations, two grocery stores, and a dairy store.
+
English Village formed in the 1920s near the site of the older [[Hedona]] mine camp and [[Birmingham Mineral Railroad]] stop. [[Charles R. Byrd & Co.]] planned and developed the first block reserved for business uses, with 50-foot lots going up for sale on [[August 16]], [[1926]]. Restrictive deeds required business houses to, "conform to the English type of architecture". Soon the district hosted four filling stations, two grocery stores, and a dairy store.
  
A bronze statue, [[Civitas]], was installed in English Village in [[1998]], honoring 1920s architect [[Carolyn Smith]].
+
The district later expanded southward, and eastward, with [[Olde English Lane]] creating a second strip of retail fronts. A bronze statue, [[Civitas]], was installed in English Village in [[1998]], honoring 1920s architect [[Carolyn Smith]].
  
 
In [[2006]], Mountain Brook began examining the possibility of having English Village designated as an historic district.  The nearby neighborhoods of [[Redmont Park]], [[Altamont]], and [[Hollywood]] are already designated as historic districts, and [[Redmont Garden Apartments]] on the village's east side are on the [[National Register of Historic Places]].
 
In [[2006]], Mountain Brook began examining the possibility of having English Village designated as an historic district.  The nearby neighborhoods of [[Redmont Park]], [[Altamont]], and [[Hollywood]] are already designated as historic districts, and [[Redmont Garden Apartments]] on the village's east side are on the [[National Register of Historic Places]].
  
==Current businesses==
+
{{stub}}
* [[Bambinelli's Italian Cafe]]
+
* [[Books-A-Million|Joe Muggs Coffee]]
+
* [[Chez Lulu]]
+
* [[Continental Bakery]]
+
* [[Park Lane Restaurant]]
+
* [[Billy's Bar & Grill]]
+
* [[Gallery 1930]]
+
* [[Henhouse Antiques]]
+
* [[Red Mountain Bank]]
+
* [[Clay Metal & Stone]]
+
* [[Galerie Alegria]]
+
* [[Richard Joseph SalonSpa]]
+
* [[Vino]]
+
 
+
==Former businesses==
+
* [[Cafe Ciao]]
+
 
+
 
== References ==
 
== References ==
 +
* "Business Area For Pump House Road" (August 15, 1926) {{BN}}
 
* Wolfson, Hannah (December 6, 2006) "Historic district designation considered for 3 villages."  ''Birmingham News''
 
* Wolfson, Hannah (December 6, 2006) "Historic district designation considered for 3 villages."  ''Birmingham News''
  
Line 34: Line 18:
 
* [http://www.mtnbrookchamber.com/content.asp?ID=67903 English Village Locator Map] at the Mountain Brook Chamber of Commerce website
 
* [http://www.mtnbrookchamber.com/content.asp?ID=67903 English Village Locator Map] at the Mountain Brook Chamber of Commerce website
  
{{stub}}
 
 
[[Category:English Village|*]]
 
[[Category:English Village|*]]

Latest revision as of 12:31, 12 October 2019

Watercolor illustration of English Village by artist Bob Moody (link)

English Village, along with Mountain Brook Village and Crestline Village, is one of three "village" commercial districts in Mountain Brook. English Village is located on the southern slope of Red Mountain, along Cahaba Road (formerly Pump House Road) around 20th and 21st Avenues South, in a small spur of northwest Mountain Brook surrounded largely by the Birmingham city limits.

History

English Village formed in the 1920s near the site of the older Hedona mine camp and Birmingham Mineral Railroad stop. Charles R. Byrd & Co. planned and developed the first block reserved for business uses, with 50-foot lots going up for sale on August 16, 1926. Restrictive deeds required business houses to, "conform to the English type of architecture". Soon the district hosted four filling stations, two grocery stores, and a dairy store.

The district later expanded southward, and eastward, with Olde English Lane creating a second strip of retail fronts. A bronze statue, Civitas, was installed in English Village in 1998, honoring 1920s architect Carolyn Smith.

In 2006, Mountain Brook began examining the possibility of having English Village designated as an historic district. The nearby neighborhoods of Redmont Park, Altamont, and Hollywood are already designated as historic districts, and Redmont Garden Apartments on the village's east side are on the National Register of Historic Places.

References

  • "Business Area For Pump House Road" (August 15, 1926) The Birmingham News
  • Wolfson, Hannah (December 6, 2006) "Historic district designation considered for 3 villages." Birmingham News

External links

Locate with
Google Maps