Difference between revisions of "Ensley Opera House"
(Created page with "The '''Ensley Opera House''' was a 800- or 850-seat theater located on the second floor of a saloon at 1813 Avenue C in Ensley in the early 1900s. The...")
Latest revision as of 09:29, 14 August 2019
The theater's proscenium was 30 feet wide and 14 feet tall, with 20 feet from the footlights to the back wall. A rigging loft was suspended 18 feet above the stage, which was adjoined by a scenery room. The theater employed a stage carpenter and prop man, as well as a 3-piece "orchestra" led by J. Jaugguina.
The theater was still operating in 1913 when Richmond Hobson campaigned their for U.S. Senate, and Reverend Patrick Turner of West End Catholic Church gave a lecture on the Oberammergauer Passionsspiele illustrated by magic lantern slides he made himself during the 1910 performance in Bavaria.