Difference between revisions of "Exchange Security Bank of Birmingham"

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
 
(10 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
The '''Exchange Security Bank of Birmingham''', along with the First National Bank of Montgomery and First National Bank of Huntsville, was one of the banks that merged on [[July 13]], [[1971]] to form [[Regions Bank|First Alabama Bancshares]] (now [[Regions Bank]])
+
[[Image:Exchange Bank Building.jpg|thumb|right|450px|Exchange Bank Building in December 2009.]]
 +
The '''Exchange Security Bank of Birmingham''', along with the First National Bank of Montgomery and First National Bank of Huntsville, was one of the banks that merged on [[July 13]], [[1971]] to form [[Regions Bank|First Alabama Bancshares]] (now [[Regions Bank]]).
 +
 
 +
The bank's president was [[R. D. Russell]].
 +
 
 +
In the 1930s the bank had an office in the [[Spanish Stores]] on [[Five Points South]]. The '''Exchange Bank Building''' was constructed on [[20th Street South]] and [[10th Avenue South]] in [[1947]]. The stripped-classicist modern concrete building was the first banking office in the city to have a drive-up window and its own parking lot. When it was built, the north and south wings of the building housed the [[Five Points Shoe Hospital]] and a [[Mary Ball Candies]] store, respectively.
 +
 
 +
A two-story stone and tile branch office designed by [[William Shaw]] was completed at [[Five Points West]] in [[1960]]. That 6,000 square foot branch was constructed for $175,000 and featured three drive-in teller islands. A one-story brick branch building opened at the [[Mountain Brook Shopping Center]] in February [[1964]]. It was followed by another small branch at 1013 [[Vanderbilt Road]] which opened on [[October 22]], [[1965]].
 +
 
 +
A downtown business office for the Exchange Security Bank was constructed at 317 [[20th Street North]]. That building was later redeveloped as the [[Birmingham Green Postal Station]].
  
 
{{stub}}
 
{{stub}}
 +
==References==
 +
* "[http://www.birminghamrewound.com/features/ExchangeSecurity5Pts(8-59).jpg New Exchange-Security branch for Five Points West]" (August 1959) {{BN}}
  
[[Category:Banks]]
+
[[Category:Defunct banks]]
 +
[[Category:1947 buildings]]
 +
[[Category:20th Street South]]
 +
[[Category:10th Avenue South]]
 +
[[Category:1960 buildings]]
 +
[[Category:1971 disestablishments]]
 +
[[Category:Five Points West]]
 +
[[Category:Mountain Brook Shopping Center]]
 +
[[Category:Vanderbilt Road]]

Latest revision as of 09:21, 20 September 2019

Exchange Bank Building in December 2009.

The Exchange Security Bank of Birmingham, along with the First National Bank of Montgomery and First National Bank of Huntsville, was one of the banks that merged on July 13, 1971 to form First Alabama Bancshares (now Regions Bank).

The bank's president was R. D. Russell.

In the 1930s the bank had an office in the Spanish Stores on Five Points South. The Exchange Bank Building was constructed on 20th Street South and 10th Avenue South in 1947. The stripped-classicist modern concrete building was the first banking office in the city to have a drive-up window and its own parking lot. When it was built, the north and south wings of the building housed the Five Points Shoe Hospital and a Mary Ball Candies store, respectively.

A two-story stone and tile branch office designed by William Shaw was completed at Five Points West in 1960. That 6,000 square foot branch was constructed for $175,000 and featured three drive-in teller islands. A one-story brick branch building opened at the Mountain Brook Shopping Center in February 1964. It was followed by another small branch at 1013 Vanderbilt Road which opened on October 22, 1965.

A downtown business office for the Exchange Security Bank was constructed at 317 20th Street North. That building was later redeveloped as the Birmingham Green Postal Station.

References