Revision as of 07:29, 20 April 2019 by Lkseitz
February 16 in the history of the Birmingham District:
- 2019: The Birmingham Committee for Truth and Reconciliation hosted the 2019 Conversation with Dr Angela Davis at Boutwell Auditorium.
- 2010: The new Gardendale High School opened.
- 2010: WENN-FM was relaunched as a neo-soul station at FM 101.9.
- 2010: Kenneth Livesay was sentenced to 5 months in prison for his role in HealthSouth's accounting fraud scandal.
- 2008: The Hoover Crescent Islamic Center held its grand opening open house.
- 2007: Compass Bank announced that it was being acquired by Spain's BBVA.
- 2006: Elephant Bulwagi debuted at Disney's Animal Kingdom in Lake Buena Vista, Florida.
- 1968: The nation's first 911 call was taken in Haleyville.
- 1952: First baseman Norm Zauchin married the former Janet Mooney, whom he had met by running into her chasing a foul ball into the stands at Rickwood Field.
- 1945: The Galax Theater was damaged by fire.
- 1944: The Medical College of Alabama Building Commission selected Birmingham as the site of its expanded four-year program.
- 1935: Gertrude Stein arrived in Birmingham during a tour of the United States.
- 1897: The Town of Vincent was chartered.
- 1895: The Flag of Alabama was adopted.
- 1889: Birmingham purchased 80 acres for Red Mountain Cemetery (now Lane Park)
- 1955: Attorney Bradley Byrne was born in Mobile.
- 1952: Outfielder Jerry Hairston was born in Birmingham.
- 1948: Jefferson County Commissioner George Bowman was born in South Carolina.
- 1939: Football coach Jim Currier was born in Birmingham.
- 1866: Baptist minister Charles Fisher was born in St Bernard Parish, Louisiana.
- 2019: Grocer and CEO Anthony Bruno died.
- 2008: Civil Rights leader James Orange died in Atlanta.
- 2008: Former insurance executive and Mountain Brook mayor Lee McGriff died in Birmingham.
- 2007: Environmentalist Mary Burks died.
- 1944: Inventor Miller Reese Hutchison died in New York.
- 1923: Developer N. F. Thompson died in Baltimore, Maryland.
- 1852: Emelie Linn died during the birth of her son, Edward.