Difference between revisions of "First United Methodist Church of Bessemer"

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 21: Line 21:
 
[[Category:1929 buildings]]
 
[[Category:1929 buildings]]
 
[[Category:2010 disestablishments]]
 
[[Category:2010 disestablishments]]
[[Category:Arlington Avenue]]
+
[[Category:Arlington Avenue (Bessemer)]]
 
[[Category:19th Street North Bessemer]]
 
[[Category:19th Street North Bessemer]]

Revision as of 14:30, 13 September 2019

First United Methodist Church of Bessemer in February 2010

The First United Methodist Church of Bessemer was a United Methodist church founded in 1887 and dissolved in 2010. It was located at Arlington Avenue South and 19th Street North in downtown Bessemer.

The church building burned to the ground on November 24, 1928 and was rebuilt the following year. A pipe organ was added in 1930. An education wing, designed by R. H. Hunt and Company of Chattanooga, Tennessee, was designed to blend with the original structure.

During the 1950s the church averaged attendance of more than 1,000 per week and became known for its annual performances of George Frideric Handel's "Messiah" oratorio. The church also hosted many graduation ceremonies for Bessemer High School.

Dwindling membership forced the church to close. Gordon McKinney led its final service on March 7, 2010.

References

  • Garrison, Greg (February 27, 2010) "123-year-old First United Methodist Church of Bessemer will close." The Birmingham News

External links