The Hill Building is a three-story brick office building at the former Continental Gin plant at 4500 5th Avenue South in Avondale. The 60,000 square foot building was constructed in 1926 as the headquarters of the Continental Gin Company.
The former cotton gin manufacturing plant was purchased in the early 1960s by members of the Hill family, owners of the Hill Food Stores grocery chain. The company moved its offices into the building and briefly operated a retail store nearby. The grocery chain was sold soon afterward to Winn-Dixie of Jacksonville, Florida, but the Hills held on to the Avondale property, which passed down to a wider circle of family members.
In 2016 Maye and Hillery Head, great-granddaughters of the elder Hill, purchased the property. They began renovating the office building in 2017 for use by their company, Ram Tool Construction Supply Company, as its headquarters office.
- Godwin, Brent (May 15, 2017) "Major Birmingham company moving HQ to historic Avondale property." Birmingham Business Journal