Home Baking Company

From Bhamwiki
Revision as of 13:36, 19 June 2015 by Dystopos (Talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search
A Home Baking Co. delivery truck. Photo by O. V. Hunt. courtesy BPL Archives

The Home Baking Company was a commercial bakery founded in 1920 by Tom Stevens, a Greek immigrant to Birmingham. Its main product was "Golden Crust" brand bread. It was first located at 2515-2519 4th Avenue North. The plant was renovated in 1947 to designs by Long & Gatling Architects.

The bakery later moved to 900 16th Street North to make way for construction of a new Birmingham Post Office and bulk mail handling facility in the mid 1960s. It also constructed a distribution center and retail outlet at 413 Finley Avenue in 1963.

Stevens remained CEO of the company until his death in 1983, and was succeeded by his son, Ernest. The company was earning $15 million per year in 1999 when it was acquired by the Flowers Baking Company of Thomasville, Georgia.