Inglenook K-8 School
|Inglenook K-8 School|
|Birmingham City Schools|
|Location||4120 Inglenook Street, (map)|
|Colors||purple & black|
In the 1940s, Inglenook School served African-American students only, but it was replaced by a white school.
The new two-story brick addition was constructed in 1950 at a cost of $132,303. The work included four new classrooms, an auditorium, expansion of the lunchroom, and replacement of the school's heating plant. In 1953 another addition, completed for $153,000, funded from a special bond issue, replaced the original building and added eight classrooms and a gymnasium. At the community's recommendation, the gymnasium took the place of vocational shops which had originally been planned. A new cafeteria was added in 1960. Funds from a 1965 bond issue provided new fencing around the school property. Another construction project under development in 1969 was allowed to move forward by federal courts because it would allow for the integration of students from the formerly all-Black Dudley School, which was converted into a model kindergarten.
Another addition in 2007 included a new competition gymnasium along with three classrooms and a science lab.