Johnny Ray's

From Bhamwiki
Revision as of 12:18, 4 July 2009 by Dystopos (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Johnny Ray's was a chain of barbecue restaurants. The first location was opened by Johnny Ray in 1954 at the Roebuck Shopping Center. Ray moved the restaurant to Valley Avenue in 1985.

The chain was known for its pulled pork and chicken barbecue (offered in "blonde" or "brunette" for white or dark meat) and for its signature "Honey's Pies" (banana, chocolate, coconut and lemon cream pies)

Ray's daughter. Dee Wood. opened a second location with her husband, Gary and son, Chad on Gadsden Highway in Trussville in 1990. Additional locations were opened by franchisees at the Colonnade, on Morgan Road in Bessemer, on Old Highway 280 in Chelsea, on Pelham Parkway in Pelham, and on Montgomery Highway in Vestavia Hills.

Wood retired in 2009, closing the franchising business and leaving individual owners to decide whether to continue under new names.

References

External links