Kessler Building

From Bhamwiki
Revision as of 12:37, 2 August 2020 by Dystopos (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
Kessler Lofts logo.jpg

The Kessler Building, also known as Kessler Lofts and originally called the Allen Building, is a 14,000 square-foot, 4-story commercial building built by B. H. Allen in 1890 for his produce and commission store at 1924–1926 3rd Avenue North.

The Kessler Building in January 2007

After it was damaged in a fire in 1911, the masonry facade was renewed with a multi-colored brick pattern. Adolph Kessler Jr opened his Kessler's department store in the building in 1915. A $50,000 renovation undertaken by Kessler's son Simon in 1959 brought modern interior fixtures, lighting and decor, including a pink and black granite floor with brass inlay on the ground level.

The building has been converted into 7 loft apartments and ground-floor retail space by Dr. James Taylor, Sr and his family. His Taylor & Company LLC purchased the building from the Owens and Woods Partnership in August 2004. A roof deck has also been added for use by residents.

To left:
The Vault
3rd Avenue North
1924–1926
To right:
Blach's building

Tenants

References

External links