McDade is the son of Alex and Alberta McDade of Ohio. He was raised in Hueytown and attended Jefferson County Schools. He became an ordained minister at age 15 and went on to study theology at Birmingham-Easonian Baptist Bible College from 1993 to 1997, and completed a master's degree in 2012 from the Andersonville Theological Seminary, an on-line college based in Camilla, Georgia. He has worked as a mail carrier for the U.S. Post Office since 2003.
McDade was a member of the Lipscomb City Council when he qualified to run against former interim Mayor Deborah Miller in the 2012 Lipscomb municipal election. Incumbent Melanie Bouyer did not run in the race, which McDade won with 159 votes to Miller's 99.
McDade laid off the entire Lipscomb Police Department in April 2013, but his actions were reversed by the City Council the next day. He fired Fire Chief John Lawrence and his wife, Janet in September, but they were also reinstated by the Council. McDade was arrested in September 2013 after arguing with a Brighton police officer.
On April 24, 2014 Lipscomb police officer Warren Powe, who had been a plaintiff in a lawsuit over the dismissal of the department, attempted to stop McDade after observing what he deemed to be reckless driving. McDade attempted to elude the officer. He was found guilty of that charge and fined $100 by Judge Eric Fancher.
McDade was arrested again in March 2014 following a domestic disturbance call at his home on 5th Street North. McDade and his wife, Pamela, apparently exchanged blows during an argument about dividing property in an upcoming divorce. Both were both charged with third-degree domestic violence and harassment, but the charges were later dropped.
In April 2015 McDade was again placed under arrest during an altercation with Police Chief Steve Carey. At the time, McDade was carrying a letter informing all city employees, except police dispatchers, that they were being placed on administrative leave.
|Mayor of Lipscomb
- Norris, Toraine (July 18, 2012) "New mayor on horizon in Lipscomb after Melanie Bouyer opts against re-election." The Birmingham News
- Robinson, Carol (April 29, 2013) "Lipscomb mayor on city turmoil : "It's a hot mess."." The Birmingham News
- Faulk, Kent (June 3, 2014) "Lipscomb mayor found guilty of attempting to elude police officer." The Birmingham News
- Robinson, Carol (April 5, 2014) "Lipscomb Mayor Lance McDade and wife arrested during fight over marital assets." The Birmingham News
- Reed, Jon (April 10, 2015) "Lipscomb mayor arrested after fight with police chief." The Birmingham News