Difference between revisions of "Linger Longer Lodge"

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
 
Line 1: Line 1:
 
The '''Linger Longer Lodge''' was a private social club located in a rock house on [[Shades Crest Road]] at the intersection of [[Berry Road]] and [[Grace Way]]. The business was founded by [[Henry Beaumont]] and his wife, [[Helen Beaumont|Helen]]. It was incorporated in [[1920]]. The name may have been inspired by the 1893 song "Linger Longer, Loo" by Sidney Jones and Willie Younge, popularized in the Gaiety Burlesque stage musical "Don Juan".
 
The '''Linger Longer Lodge''' was a private social club located in a rock house on [[Shades Crest Road]] at the intersection of [[Berry Road]] and [[Grace Way]]. The business was founded by [[Henry Beaumont]] and his wife, [[Helen Beaumont|Helen]]. It was incorporated in [[1920]]. The name may have been inspired by the 1893 song "Linger Longer, Loo" by Sidney Jones and Willie Younge, popularized in the Gaiety Burlesque stage musical "Don Juan".
  
During [[Prohibition]] the club was known as a discreet spot to enjoy a drink and games of chance on the sly. Because of this, the [[Ku Klux Klan]] burned a cross there in March [[1926]], one of their few actions against a white, Protestant establishment at the time. The Beaumont's lost the business in the stock market crash of [[1929]].
+
During [[Prohibition]] the private club was known as a discreet spot to enjoy a drink and games of chance on the sly. Because of this, the [[Ku Klux Klan]] burned a cross there in March [[1926]], one of their few actions against a white, Protestant establishment at the time. The club also constructed tennis courts and hosted two amateur tournaments that same year.
 +
 
 +
The Beaumont's lost the business in the stock market crash of [[1929]].
  
 
In the 1930s the club was renamed the '''Blue Crystal''' and took on an even shadier reputation. [[Dixie Coffee]] founder [[Gus Jebeles (Barons owner|Gus Jebeles]] purchased the business and brought back the "Linger Longer" name while advertising the "largest steaks in town". He bought the [[Birmingham Barons]] in [[1944]] and frequently hosted friends at the restaurant.  
 
In the 1930s the club was renamed the '''Blue Crystal''' and took on an even shadier reputation. [[Dixie Coffee]] founder [[Gus Jebeles (Barons owner|Gus Jebeles]] purchased the business and brought back the "Linger Longer" name while advertising the "largest steaks in town". He bought the [[Birmingham Barons]] in [[1944]] and frequently hosted friends at the restaurant.  
Line 8: Line 10:
  
 
==References==
 
==References==
 +
* "Linger Longer to Hold Net Tourney" (August 15, 1926) {{BN}}
 
* Spotswood, Frances (January --, 1968) "[http://www.birminghamrewound.com/features/LingerLonger(1-68).JPG Linger Longer Lodge waiting for wrecker]." {{BN}}
 
* Spotswood, Frances (January --, 1968) "[http://www.birminghamrewound.com/features/LingerLonger(1-68).JPG Linger Longer Lodge waiting for wrecker]." {{BN}}
 
* {{Summe-2001}}
 
* {{Summe-2001}}
Line 15: Line 18:
 
[[Category:1920 establishments]]
 
[[Category:1920 establishments]]
 
[[Category:1968 demolitions]]
 
[[Category:1968 demolitions]]
 +
[[Category:Tennis courts]]

Latest revision as of 13:04, 12 October 2019

The Linger Longer Lodge was a private social club located in a rock house on Shades Crest Road at the intersection of Berry Road and Grace Way. The business was founded by Henry Beaumont and his wife, Helen. It was incorporated in 1920. The name may have been inspired by the 1893 song "Linger Longer, Loo" by Sidney Jones and Willie Younge, popularized in the Gaiety Burlesque stage musical "Don Juan".

During Prohibition the private club was known as a discreet spot to enjoy a drink and games of chance on the sly. Because of this, the Ku Klux Klan burned a cross there in March 1926, one of their few actions against a white, Protestant establishment at the time. The club also constructed tennis courts and hosted two amateur tournaments that same year.

The Beaumont's lost the business in the stock market crash of 1929.

In the 1930s the club was renamed the Blue Crystal and took on an even shadier reputation. Dixie Coffee founder Gus Jebeles purchased the business and brought back the "Linger Longer" name while advertising the "largest steaks in town". He bought the Birmingham Barons in 1944 and frequently hosted friends at the restaurant.

In 1968 the building, by then used most recently as a private residence, was demolished because it lay precisely in the center of a 90-foot deep cut through Shades Mountain required for the construction of I-65.

References