List of Birmingham homicides in 1997
Revision as of 06:52, 26 March 2018 by Dystopos
This is a List of Birmingham homicides in 1997. 108 homicide cases were reported within the city limits during the calendar year. Note that not all homicides are ultimately ruled to be murder in courts of law.
Listing by date
- This list is incomplete. You can help Bhamwiki by expanding it.
- January 18: Henry Lloyd Brooks, 41, a Jefferson County Sheriff's Deputy, was killed while investigating a car used in a robbery. He was at his vehicle on the shoulder of I-59 in Roebuck when he was struck and thrown 30 feet by a car driven by Alfred James Edwards of Trussville. Edwards, who tested for a blood-alcohol level above the legal limit, was charged with murder. He was convicted on the lesser charge of manslaughter and sentenced to 17 years in prison. He was freed on parole in December 2013. The section of I-59 between mile markers 135 and 136 was dedicated in Brooks' memory in January 2017. (report)
- February 25: Miriam Rochester, 85, was beaten to death in her home on 2nd Avenue South. Alfonzo Morris was arrested hours later with some of Rochester's jewelry. DNA evidence also linked him to the crime. He was convicted in 2003 and sentenced to death, but the case was overturned on appeal. A 2008 retrial concluded without a verdict. A second retrial concluded in May 2008 with a guilty verdict. Morris was again sentenced to death on June 20. (report)
- July 7: Sherita Scott, 14, was gunned down in the early hours on a street corner in a West End neighborhood.
- Rodriques "ScooBoo" Turner, 21, was shot to death during an armed assault by a group of masked men on the porch of his brother Kenny's house in L&N City in North Birmingham. One of the assailants, Rayshon Kennon, was struck by Kenny Turner's return fire and paralyzed from the neck down. He pleaded guilty to manslaughter and received a 15-year suspended sentence. Also charged were Harold Brownlee Jr, and brothers Cordell and Torriel Wade. Brownlee was acquitted at trial in August 1999. The charges against the Wades were later dropped. Brownlee was charged in the 2011 murder of Jerry Crawford and Willie Turner III. He pleaded guilty to intentional murder and was sentenced to life with the possibility of parole. Cordell Wade was charged with manslaughter in the 2014 death of Denetria Johnson, whose car he struck while driving drunk on East Lake Boulevard.
- Birmingham News Digital Archives 
- Velasco, Eric (May 8, 2008) "Man convicted of capital murder in bludgeoning death." Birmingham News
- Robinson, Carol (May 25, 2008) "Birmingham trauma care keeps pace with rising violence." Birmingham News