Miles College is a historically black college founded in 1905. Located at 5500 Myron Massey Blvd in Fairfield in western Jefferson County, it is a private liberal arts institution of the CME Church with between 1600 and 1800 students.
Miles College offers 25 different degrees in education, business, biology, and in various sciences. Their mascot is the Golden Bears, and the marching band is the Miles Purple Marching Machine. Their current president is Dr. George French, Jr. According to a recent non-profit organization, Miles College ranks 4th in the nation for graduating black college students.
In 2006, Miles College purchased the former HealthSouth MetroWest Hospital which doubled the size of the campus to 76 acres. In July, 2007, college officials were in talks to have the 41 acres of what is also known as the Lloyd Noland Hospital site deannexed from Fairfield and annexed into the City of Birmingham .
The student newspaper is The Milean. Miles College is a member of the United Negro College Fund.
- See main article Miles Golden Bears.
Miles' athletic teams are the NCAA Division II Golden Bears of the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference. The team colors are purple and gold. The football team plays in 8,500-seat Albert J. Sloan-Alumni Stadium on campus. The basketball teams compete in 1,200-seat Knox-Windham Gymnasium.
- Emory Anthony, attorney
- Richard Arrington, former Mayor of Birmingham
- William Bell, former Birmingham City Council member, current Jefferson County Commission member
- U. W. Clemon, U. S. District Court judge
- Steven Hoyt, Birmingham City Council member
- Bernard Kincaid, former Mayor of Birmingham
- Carole Smitherman, Birmingham City Council president
- Abraham Woods, Jr, minister and Civil Rights leader
- Miles College. (April 13, 2007). In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved 18:58, July 2, 2007.
|Dual licensed with the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike License version 3.0|
|This article is published under the GFDL and the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike license v3.0.|