October 21 in the history of the Birmingham District:
- 2007: Indian Springs Village celebrated its 18th anniversary with a "Country Day" arts festival.
- 2004: A tractor trailer wrecked in Malfunction Junction, igniting 9,000 gallons of diesel fuel.
- 2001: Topper Price and the Upsetters played as part of the Phelan Park Music Series.
- 1999: Alabama Booksmith held its grand opening in Homewood.
- 1921: The Alabama Coal Operators Association became the Alabama Mining Institute.
- 1921: A new battery of Koppers-Becker coke ovens was put into operation at Thomas Furnaces.
- 1986: Natalee Holloway was born.
- 1981: GASP director Michael Hansen was born in Memphis, Tennessee.
- 1979: Baseball player and former Auburn Tigers quarterback Gabe Gross was born.
- 1918: Southern Company CEO Alvin Vogtle was born in Birmingham.