Saint Bernard College
The college was an outgrowth of the preparatory school at St Bernard Abbey, which began conferring bachelor's degrees as early as 1893. It was established as a junior college in 1929, and expanded to a four-year college by 1955. It was accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools the following year.
Saint Bernard dropped its college preparatory program in 1962. During the late 1960s, the college's athletic teams gained prominence. In particular, the judo program, founded by Larry Ventura, earned national recognition, and the golf team won the 1971 NAIA championship. St Bernard's soccer teams of the 1960s and 70s also earned national rankings.
Saint Bernard College merged with Cullman College to form "Southern Benedictine College" in 1976. The college closed on May 13, 1979. Since 1984 the campus has hosted a re-opened St Bernard Preparatory School.
- St. Bernard Preparatory School: A History. St Bernard Preparatory School - accessed June 9, 2006
- St Bernard Preparatory School website