Revision as of 04:42, 9 January 2023 by David Bains (Talk | contribs)
Samford Bulldogs are the athletic teams for Samford University. The school fields teams in 13 varsity sports (6 men's and 7 women's) and has been a member of the Southern Conference since 2008. The Samford Athletics staff is headed by athletic director Bob Roller and assistant Peter Neuberger. Pat Sullivan is head football coach.
Samford's intercollegiate athletics teams are nicknamed the Bulldogs, represented by a sitting bulldog sometimes called Sam. This logo was introduced in 2016. Prior to that the bulldog was known as Spike, a growling cartoon mascot with a spiked collar. The schools colors are bright red and dark blue.
- Fight song.: "Fight, Fight, Fight / For Samford Bulldogs, / Go onward to victory. / Oh, we’ll wear the red and blue, / Samford, we’re all for you / And we love you, too! / Fight, Fight, Fight, / For Samford Bulldogs, / Go onward to victory. / Oh, we’ll give a cheer or two, / Samford, we’re all for you! / Fight! Fight Fight!"
- Alma mater.: "Oh, Samford Alma Mater true / Her halls shall ever ring, / With sounding glories of the past / With plans and future dreams. / On knowledge that we seek, O Lord, / We pray thy blessings true. / With pride we pledge our hearts and minds, / To the Samford Red and Blue!"
- Seibert Stadium has been home to Samford's football team since 1958. Over the years, Seibert has seen some memorable football, including the Bobby Bowden era (1959-62), a one-loss season in 1971 and the Terry Bowden era, which ended with a 14-game Bulldog winning streak in the stadium. In Fall 2005, the playing surface, which had always been natural grass, was replaced by a new LSR Blade Synthetic Surface. The artificial turf also includes an extensive drainage system. The stadium is named for F. Page Seibert, a Daytona Beach, Fla., businessman, who donated the money for the completion of the stadium in 1961 with the addition of the stands of the west side. The largest crowd in Seibert Stadium history was in 1994 against Steve McNair and Alcorn State when 11,189 fans showed up. The stadium holds 6,700.
- Pete Hanna Center - opened in 2007 with the 5,000-seat Thomas E. and Marla H. Corts Arena for basketball (expandable to 6,000 with floor seating for concerts and programs). The building also includes offices for the Bulldogs' athletics department and a 12,000 square-foot student fitness center. It replaced Seibert Hall (constructed in 1959) as the Bulldog's venua for basketball.
- Joe Lee Griffin Stadium - opened in Spring 2000 for the Bulldogs baseball team, the 1,000-seat facility includes baseball offices and locker rooms.
- Darwin C. Hardison Tennis Center
- Shauna Yelton Field at Samford Track/Soccer Complex, across Lakeshore Drive from the main campus
- Samford Softball Field
- Samford Bulldogs. (2008, August 27). In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved 14:50, August 28, 2008 
- Poole, Phillip. (November 12, 2016). "New Bulldog Launched as Part of Samford’s Brand Identity" Samford University.