Sidewalk Film Festival
The Sidewalk Moving Picture Festival is an annual film festival, started in 1999 by Erik Jambor, Kelly Franklin and Wayne Franklin. Jambor stepped down as executive director in December, 2006, citing disagreement with the board of directors, which is headed by Alan Hunter.
The 7th annual festival took place September 23-25.
- Best Feature: The Puffy Chair
- Best Director, narrative feature: Andrew Bujalski (Mutual Appreciation)
- Special Mention: Four Eyed Monsters
- Best Ensemble Cast: Swimmers
- Best Cinematography: Americano
- Best Documentary, feature length: Lucha Libra: Life Behind the Mask
- Best Short Documentary: Charles Moore: I Fight With My Camera
- Special Jury Award for Cultural Significance: Music is My Life, Politics My Mistress
- Best Student Documentary: Miss Lil's Camp
- Best Short: SPAM-KU
- Best Student Film: Test Day
- Best Animated Film: Quest for the Orb
- Kathryn Tucker Windham Storytelling Award: Pee Shy
- Special Jury Prize for Short Films: Dare
- Audience Choice Award: Novem
- Audience Choice Documentary: Favela Rising
- Audience Choice Short: Pee Shy
- Audience Choice Alabama Short: A Modest Proposal
- Alabama Citation, Excellence in Imagery: Mindwalk
- Alabama Citation, Excellence in Cinematography: The Girlfriend/Who Killed Tangerine?
- Alabama Citation, Excellence in Casting: Air Band
- Alabama Citation, Excellence in Multimedia: Portrait of a Girl
- Alabama Citation, Excellence in Soundtrack: Mindwalk
- Alabama Citation, Excellence in Animation: The Fanciful Gentleman
- Alabama Citation, Excellence in Drama: Birthday Wish
- Alabama Citation, F***ing Funny Awards: The 3 R's, A Modest Proposal, Testosterino
- Alabama Citation, Excellence in Student Filmmaking: Straw Man Unyielding
- Alabama Citation, Excellence in Cinematic Innovation: Gratuitous
- Alabama Citation, Excellence in Acting: Austin McDonald (Straw Man Unyielding), George Milton (A Modest Proposal), Stephanie Schnorbus (The Girlfriend), Stephen Williams (Straw Man Unyielding)
- Sidewrite Grand Prize: Muckfuppet by Kenn McCracken
- Production Prize: Waiting by Mary Cathryn Wendt
- Alabama Student Filmmaking Grand Prize: The Force of Attraction
- Alabama Student Filmmaking Special Jury Prize: The Weight of Life
- Alabama Student Filmmaking Special Mention: Free Running
- "Spirit of Sidewalk" award: John C. Reilly.
The 6th annual festival took place September 23-26 in 7 venues. The jury included Eric Campos from Film Threat magazine, Gill Holland, Don Myrick, Peter Gilbert, Lucia Small, Gabe Wardell, Skizz Cyzyk, Steve Montal, Michael Grady, and Daniel Wallace.
- Best Feature: Alice's Misadventures in Wonderland
- Special Feature Jury Award: Piggie
- Best Documentary: The Loss of Nameless Things
- Best Short Documentary: Benching: The Art of Watching Trains
- Special Documentary Jury Human Rights Award: A Stone's Throw Away
- Special Documentary Jury Award: The Puppeteer
- Best Short Film: Perils in Nude Modeling
- Special Short Film Jury Award: The Climactic Death of Dark Ninja
- Best Student Film: Why the Anderson Children Didn't Come to Dinner
- Best Animated Film: The Balloon
- Special Jury Award in Animation: Oedipus
- Kathryn Tucker Windham Storytelling Award: Tacklebox
- Audience Choice Feature: Woman Thou Art Loosed
- Audience Choice Documentary: Kathryn: The Story of a Teller
- Audience Choice Short: The Puppeteer
- Audience Choice Alabama Spectrum: Who is Colin Cherry?
- Carlton, Bob (December 1, 2006) "Sidewalk film festival founding director resigns." Birmingham News.
- Sidewalk Moving Picture Festival website