Difference between revisions of "Welton School"

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
 
(2 intermediate revisions by one user not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
'''James A. Welton School''' was a [[List of Birmingham schools|school]] operated by [[Birmingham City Schools]] at 3716 [[5th Avenue Wylam|5th Avenue]] in [[Wylam]].
+
'''James A. Welton School''' was a [[List of Birmingham schools|school]] operated by [[Birmingham City Schools]] at 3716 [[5th Avenue Wylam|5th Avenue]] in [[Wylam]]. The school was named for [[James Welton]], a former principal of [[Patterson Elementary School]].
  
The school was founded in [[1951]] by [[Fannie Thomas|Fannie S. Thomas]], who served as principal and lone teacher. A new 4-classroom building was dedicated in [[1961]]. It was named for [[James Welton]], a former principal of [[Patterson Elementary School]].
+
The school was founded in [[1951]] by [[Fannie Thomas|Fannie S. Thomas]], who served as principal and lone teacher. A new 4-classroom brick-clad building was dedicated in [[1961]].
  
Welton School closed in [[1969]], having been made redundant by [[Integration of Birmingham City Schools|school integration]].
+
Welton School closed in [[1969]], having been made redundant by [[Integration of Birmingham City Schools|school integration]]. The [[Westside Church of Christ]] purchased the former school property from the [[Birmingham Board of Education]] in [[1979]] for $14,000.
  
 
==Principals==
 
==Principals==
Line 14: Line 14:
 
[[Category:Former Birmingham schools]]
 
[[Category:Former Birmingham schools]]
 
[[Category:1951 establishments]]
 
[[Category:1951 establishments]]
 +
[[Category:1961 buildings]]
 
[[Category:1969 disestablishments]]
 
[[Category:1969 disestablishments]]
 
[[Category:5th Avenue Wylam]]
 
[[Category:5th Avenue Wylam]]

Latest revision as of 06:33, 6 November 2020

James A. Welton School was a school operated by Birmingham City Schools at 3716 5th Avenue in Wylam. The school was named for James Welton, a former principal of Patterson Elementary School.

The school was founded in 1951 by Fannie S. Thomas, who served as principal and lone teacher. A new 4-classroom brick-clad building was dedicated in 1961.

Welton School closed in 1969, having been made redundant by school integration. The Westside Church of Christ purchased the former school property from the Birmingham Board of Education in 1979 for $14,000.

Principals

References

  • The Huntsville Mirror (September 2, 1961), p. 2