Difference between revisions of "Wheelock & Wheelock"

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(Notable buildings)
(Notable buildings)
 
Line 33: Line 33:
 
* [[Bell Building]], 1814 [[2nd Avenue North]], [[1907]]
 
* [[Bell Building]], 1814 [[2nd Avenue North]], [[1907]]
 
* [[YMCA Building]], 526 [[20th Street North]], [[1911]]
 
* [[YMCA Building]], 526 [[20th Street North]], [[1911]]
 +
* [[Burnett Building]], 1816–1818 [[2nd Avenue North (Downtown)|2nd Avenue North]], 1912
 
* [[Graves Building]], 1816-1820 [[3rd Avenue North]], [[1912]]
 
* [[Graves Building]], 1816-1820 [[3rd Avenue North]], [[1912]]
 
* [[Dian Apartments]], 1300 block of [[20th Street South]], [[1913]]
 
* [[Dian Apartments]], 1300 block of [[20th Street South]], [[1913]]
 
* [[Levert Apartments]], 1300 block of [[20th Street South]], [[1913]], associate
 
* [[Levert Apartments]], 1300 block of [[20th Street South]], [[1913]], associate
* [[Burnett Building]], 1816–1818 [[2nd Avenue North (Downtown)|2nd Avenue North]], 1912–1915
 
 
* [[Molton Hotel]], 500 block of [[20th Street North]], [[1915]]
 
* [[Molton Hotel]], 500 block of [[20th Street North]], [[1915]]
 
* [[Molton-Henley Retail Block]], [[1915]]
 
* [[Molton-Henley Retail Block]], [[1915]]

Latest revision as of 10:21, 25 October 2020

Wheelock & Wheelock was a prominent architectural firm founded in 1881 by Charles Wheelock, who was joined by his son, Harry in the late 1880s with offices in the Jackson Block at the corner of 19th Street and 3rd Avenue North.

The firm trained many young architects in Birmingham such as Brooks Burnham, S. Scott Joy, Eugene Knight, James A. Lewis, Hugh Martin, and Jack B. Smith.

Joy, who trained as an engineer and architect at the University of Illinois, was a partner in the firm, known then as Wheelock, Joy & Wheelock from before 1905 to 1912. The firm's offices were then in the Steiner Building, designed by them, at 2101 1st Avenue North.

Eva S. Frank served the firm as secretary and office manager for most of its existence. It was she that compiled a list of the firm's completed buildings for Hill Ferguson of the Birmingham Historical Society for preservation in the cornerstone vault of Birmingham City Hall in 1950.

Notable buildings

The Church of the Advent, 1893
Municipal Auditorium, 1922

Residences

References

  • Wilson, H. T. (c. 1880) Historical Sketch of Las Vegas, New Mexico. Chicago, Illinois: Hotel World Publishing
  • "Chas. Wheelock & Son" (1888) in North Alabama (Illustrated) Birmingham: Southern Commercial Publishing Co., p. 99
  • "Jesse M. Wheelock" biography in An Illustrated History of New Mexico. (1895) Chicago, Illinois: Lewis Publishing Company, pp. 448-49
  • Wheelock, Charles, S. Scott Joy, and Harry B. Wheelock (1905) Wheelock, Joy, & Wheelock, Architectural Works St Louis, Missouri: Murbell & Co.
  • Owen, Thomas McAdory and Marie Bankhead Owen (1921) History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography. 4 volumes. Chicago, Illinois: S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
  • "Charles R. & Harry Wheelock, Architects" typescript (August 3, 1950), in "Architects & Architecture", Vol. 2 of material compiled by Hill Ferguson for the cornerstone vault in Birmingham City Hall
  • Browne, Catherine Greene (1992) The History of Forest Park. Birmingham: Cather Publishing Company