The Windham Building located at 528 8th Avenue North is located in the Smithfield neighborhood of the Smithfield community. Built in 1912, this two-story edifice is the oldest commercial building within the Smithfield Historic District. Constructed by Windham Construction and designed by Wallace Rayfield, Windham’s corporate offices moved here in 1917 and remained within the building until 1966. After Windham vacated the building, it was utilized by multiple small businesses; however, today the building is vacant and in a deteriorating state.
- Curtis, Nancy C. (1996) Black Heritage Sites: The South New York City: The New Press, p. 38. ISBN 1565844335