West Lake Park
West Lake Park was developed in the 1890s as reservoir and recreational attraction on Hall's Creek, fed by Moore's Spring and Glen Spring between the Louisville & Nashville Railroad and the Bessemer Super Highway just west of Bessemer.
By comparison to East Lake, fed by Roebuck Springs, the water and West Lake was warmer and the sand-covered beach more expansive. The park offered swimming, boating, and fishing on the lake, and skating, dancing and bowling in the park building.
West Lake Park was managed by John Ryan until 1935. In the 1940s, special bus shuttles brought visitors to the park from downtown Bessemer. In 1949 W. T. Thompson offered a streamline-style miniature train with a "practically new" V-8 Ford motor and three coaches along with 870 feet of rail, located at the park, for sale.