Children's Harbor offers patients and their families two unique environments to strengthen family bonds and find balance and support during and after hospitalization. All of the services offered at both campuses are provided to families at no cost, thanks to many generous donors and volunteers. The current CEO is Myrle Grate.
In 1987, Ben and Luanne Russell began dreaming of building a place for children and families on Lake Martin on property provided by Russell Lands. The dream became a reality in 1990 with the dedication ceremonies for Children's Harbor, a not-for-profit organization. The entire program was officially dedicated to the memory of Ben's mother, Adelia M. Russell.
In 2001, the Russells' commitment continued with their gift to build a state-of-the-art Children’s Harbor Family Resource and Counseling Center at the Benjamin Russell Hospital for Children in Birmingham, Alabama. There, children and their families receive coaching, counseling, education, recreation, respite and other supportive services during and after hospitalization.
- Family Center
- The Children's Harbor Family Center, located in the Benjamin Russell Hospital for Children at 1600 6th Avenue South in Birmingham, opened in 2001 and offers several ways for patients and their families to break away from their hospital stay. Services include patient and sibling activities as well as support through counseling care and educational resources.
- Directly connected to the state-of-the-art Benjamin Russell Hospital for Children, the Family Center focuses on serving children and their families through activities and recreation, coaching and counseling, education, respite and other supportive services during and after hospitalization.
- Lake Martin
- The Children's Harbor Lake Martin campus, located at 1 Our Children's Highway in Alexander City, AL, hosts camping and retreat services through partnering organizations, providing patients and families a place of rest and restoration. It opened in 1990 and offers patients and their families a place to come together and reconnect, often outdoors, in a safe environment for children with various diagnoses.
- The Children's Harbor Treasures & Thrift Store, located at 8842 Kowaliga Rd in Eclectic, AL, was established in 2003 by Bobbie and Jim Parkinson.
- Children's Harbor website