J. M. Tanory & Co. building
The J. M. Tanory & Co. building is a two-story, 7,550 square-foot brick commercial building, constructed in the early 1920s for the J. M. Tanory & Co. dry goods store. It is located on Block 148, at 312–314 20th Street South.
Initially the dry goods store occupied the southern half of the building, with a tire repair shop in the northern half. By 1926 Tanory had expanded across both side of the ground floor. By 1941 the retail space had been turned over to Burks Furniture Exchange. Between 1949 and 1964 the building housed U.S. Post Office Station No. 8, Johnnie Harrison Co. hardware and sporting goods, and Harbin Pharmacy. It was redeveloped in the 1970s for the Coalyard restaurant, and has housed several nightclubs since then.
Johanna Martin bought the building in 2004 for $360,000. Ironvest Partners acquired it for $780,000 in February 2021, and leased it to a group led by Collins Ngure for their proposed EDEN Lounge nightclub.
- 312–314: J. M. Tanory & Co. dry goods (1926), Burks Furniture Exchange (1941)
- 312: Wyatt-Johnson tire repairs (1922), U.S. Post Office Station No. 8 (1949–1964), Fine Arts Gallery/Alabama Data Processing Supply Co./The Rock Shop (1970), Coalyard restaurant (1970s), Amigo's restaurant (1980s), Cafe 312 (1996), Club 312, BOSS Ultra Bar & Lounge (2011–2020), EDEN Lounge (2021–)
- 314: J. M. Tanory dry goods (1922), Johnnie Harrison Co. hardware& sporting goods (1949–1953), Harbin Pharmacy (1949-1964)
- Polk's Birmingham City Directory (1926) Birmingham: R. L. Polk & Co.
- Van der Bijl, Hanno (March 4, 2021) "EDEN Lounge to open in Southside near 20 Midtown." Birmingham Business Journal