Lake Davidson

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Wading in Buck Creek below the Davidson Dam in 2010

Lake Davidson is a narrow impoundment of Buck Creek west of Alabama State Highway 261 (Helena Road) and north of Old Town Helena. It is named for Tom Davidson who constructed the concrete dam around 1915, making the lake a centerpiece of the pleasure resort he was developing along the creek bank. He and his sons constructed a skating rink and dance hall on the lake shore.

The Helena Waste Water Treatment Plant discharges into Lake Davidson. The water spilling over the dam, flanked by Incahoots and the Depot Deli and Grill, is illuminated by blue lights at night. The Cottages of Old Town are also located on the south shore of the lake.

References

  • Penhale, Ken and Martin Everse (1998) Helena, Alabama. Images of America Series. Mount Pleasant, South Carolina: Arcadia Press. ISBN 9780738552804

External links

Locate with
Google Maps