Lincoln Elementary School
|Lincoln Elementary School|
|Birmingham City Schools|
|Location||901 9th Avenue North, (map)|
The first unit of the new 3-story school building was completed in 1926 for 1,160 students. Through the 1920s much of the elementary school's curriculum focused on vocational training in crafts such as tailoring, weaving and carpentry.
In the 1950s the school utilized several shotgun houses in the vicinity of its 3-story building. A new addition, opened in 1956, brought 12 new classrooms along with a lunchroom, auditorium, and gymnasium.
In 2001 the system proposed to construct a new elementary school to replace Lincoln and Wilkerson Elementary School. Wilkerson was remodeled into Wilkerson Middle School, with students attending classes at Lincoln until the new school opened in 2006. Lincoln School was then converted into the Lincoln Professional Development Center.