1906 Shelby County time capsule
The 1906 Shelby County time capsule was deposited by Judge H. P. Longshore and members of the Shelby Lodge No. 140 on April 5, 1906 in the cornerstone of the Shelby County Courthouse with instructions to open it in 2006. It was opened on June 17, 2006 by Bobby Joe Seales, president of the Shelby County Historical Society.
The copper box had lost its seal and was compromised by moisture. The contents were heavily damaged and included:
- A Holy Bible (recognizable only by the cover)
- A Masonic Manual (heavily damaged)
- A copy of the Stone Cutters Journal (heavily damaged)
- A copy of the Birmingham News (wet, but not destroyed)
- A copy of the Columbia Sentinel (wet, but not destroyed)
- A copy of the Resolutions of Commissioners Court (completely crumbled)
The items are on display at the Shelby County Historical Society Museum building. A new time capsule with a superior moisture-barrier was prepared, and deposited behind the new cornerstone at the courthouse in 2006.
- Wilstach, Nancy (June 21, 2006) "Shelby takes steps to keep time capsule contents dry". Birmingham News