19th Street underpass
In 1887 a group of downtown property owners contributed funds to a committee which aimed to secure construction of a 30-foot wide tunnel at 19th Street at a projected cost of $10,000. The investors, led by W. H. Hughes, included Henry F. DeBardeleben, J. F. B. Jackson, S. W. Herring, Nixon & Jemison, Josiah Morris and W. H. Williams. The venture raised only $6,000, and was unsuccessful.
The present underpass was constructed in 1961 of reinforced concrete.