Alabama Legislative Council
The Alabama Legislative Council is a 20-member body of the Alabama Legislature created by Act of Alabama 2015-408, signed by Robert Bentley on June 9, 2015. The Council oversees administrative operations of the legislative branch, including numerous operations formerly carried out by legislative committees, including Legislative Councils in each house, a Joint Fiscal Committee, a permanent Legislative Committee on Reapportionment, and the Legislative Building Authority.
The Council oversees the management and operations of various administrative staff, including the Alabama Legislative Reference Service, the Alabama Legislative Fiscal Office, and the offices of the Speaker of the House and Senate President Pro Tempore and all other offices organized under the Clerk of the House and the Secretary of the Senate. It also assumed management of the Alabama Law Institute, formerly operated by the Alabama State Bar Association.
Three administrative positions were created by the legislation, including the Executive Secretary of the Legislative Council, Director of Technology of the Legislative Council, and a Director of Human Resources of the Legislative Council.
Having taken responsibility for the , under the law the "absolute title and control of the State House property" were transferred from the Legislative Building Authority to the Alabama Legislative Council effective October 1, 2015.
Members of the Legislative Council include:
- Alabama State House of Representatives
- Speaker of the House
- House Majority Leader
- House Minority Leader
- Chair of the House Ways and Means General Fund Committee
- Chair of the House Ways and Means Education Committee
- two Representatives appointed by the Speaker
- two Representatives appointed by the House of Representatives at large
- one Representative elected by the non-majority party members of the House of Representatives
- Alabama State Senate
- Senate President Pro Tempore
- Senate Majority Leader
- Senate Minority Leader
- Chair of the Senate Finance and Taxation General Fund Committee
- Chair of the Senate Finance and Taxation Education Committee
- two Senators appointed by the President Pro Tempore
- two Senators elected by the Senate at large
- one Senator elected by the non-majority party members of the Senate
- Britt, Susan (March 4, 2014) "SB11 Gives Legislative Council Ultimate Control of State House" Alabama Political Reporter