The business was founded in 1938 by the Jones family and remains the longest-operating book store in Tuscaloosa. Its present building, designed by D. O. Whilldin, was constructed in 1942, and was one of the first air-conditioned commercial buildings in the city.
The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in August 2020, due to its architectural and historical significance.
- Cason, Mike (August 20, 2020) "3 Alabama sites added to National Register of Historic Places." The Birmingham News
- Bamastuff website