Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church in 2009

Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church is a Roman Catholic parish church located at 1460 Pearson Avenue Southwest in West End Birmingham. Jim Booth is the pastor.

The Parish was founded in 1910 by members of the Catholic Ladies Club, who erected the first building for worship in October 1911.

Between 1928 and 1930 a new Romanesque-style brick building was constructed for the parish. It was designed by architects John J. Carey and Paul Dowling of Mobile. It hosted its first mass on February 17 of that year. Interior furnishing and stained glass windows for the church were completed during the 1950s. The decoration includes a red marble altar and baldachin along with painted murals.

Blessed Sacrament's Brother Christopher inaugurated the Toy Bowl Association youth football league in 1952.

As of 2021, Blessed Sacrament is the only Catholic church in metropolitan Birmingham authorized to regularly hold the traditional Latin mass.

The structure qualified for a Jefferson County Historical Commission marker in 2010, was added to the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage in 2011, and to the National Register of Historic Places in 2015.

References

  • Ruisi, Anne (February 9, 2011) "Historic West End church named to state Register of Landmarks and Heritage." The Birmingham News
  • "Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church" National Register of Historic Places Registration Form, reference number 15000430

External links