Buck Creek Mill
The Buck Creek Mill (originally Selma Cotton Mill, then Siluria Cotton Mill) was a large textile mill founded in 1896, built on Buck Creek in Siluria in Shelby County. The main section of the mill building was completed in 1904, with additions in 1906 and 1911, when it took its best-known name.
The mill was founded by Thomas C. Thompson on grounds once used to muster the Shelby County Volunteers for service in the Creek Indian War. As the mill grew, the company built a mill village of cottages and schools, along with a hotel, ballpark, clubhouse and medical dispensary nearby. A two story Buck Creek Community House with a movie theater on the upper level was destroyed by fire in 1933. The cinema was relocated to the 1924 Buck Creek Band Hall next door and was operated until 1979. In addition to Scouting groups and the brass band, the company sponsored an Industrial League baseball team.
The mill was purchased in December 1959 by the J.W. Valentine Company and went back to being called Siluria Mills for about five years, after which Buck Creek Industries took ownership and sold the village houses to employees. In 1968 the mill was bought by Reeves Brothers, who sold it in 1972 to Canton Textile Mills. In May 1979 the mill was closed.
After the shut down the site had been used as a flea market, and had gradually fallen into greater disrepair.
The City of Alabaster, which annexed Siluria, purchased the property in 2004. They contracted with the Granger Grading Company to demolish the structure in exchange for salvage materials. A fire broke out in one of the structures in August, 2007, during demolition.
- Daniels, Malcomb (February 14, 2007) "Alabaster's Buck Creek Mill to be partly demolished." Birmingham News.
- Seales, Bobby Joe (n. d.) "Siluria Cotton Mill Company" - accessed August 17, 2021