The Central Alabamian was a weekly newspaper published in Elyton in 1849 and again in the next decade. It was established after Joseph Smith and Baylis Grace purchased the Washington hand press and type from the former Jones Valley Times. Grace served as editor during the paper's first year, but shut it down before the end of December.
Moses Lancaster of Greensboro revived the Central Alabamian in the early 1850s and managed to carry on for about three years before he, too, was forced to suspend publishing. John Cantley, a merchant from Mobile, purchased the press from them and subsequently founded the Elyton Herald.
- Dubose, John Witherspoon (1887) Jefferson County and Birmingham, Alabama: Historical and Biographical Birmingham: Teeple & Smith, Publishers; Caldwell Printing Works.
- Jackson, Harvey H. (2000) The WPA Guide to 1930s Alabama Tuscaloosa: University of Alabama Press, p. 167. ISBN 0817310282