Charles Stillman residence
- This article is about Charles Stillman's cottage, for the Georgian mansion, see Stillman mansion.
The Charles Stillman residence is a Victorian-style cottage at 1008 21st Avenue in downtown Tuscaloosa. It was the home of First Presbyterian Church of Tuscaloosa pastor and Stillman Institute founder Charles Stillman. It housed the school's seminary classes from its completion in 1881 until a formal college campus was dedicated at the former Cochrane plantation on Tuscaloosa's west side in 1898. The house continued to serve the college as the site for parties, receptions and other events and eventually became the property of the city.
After an exterior restoration, the Stillman house was deeded to the National Alumni Association of Stillman College in 1982. Without a source of funds for maintenance, however, the property continued to fall into disrepair. In 2006 NAASC chair Melissa Davis launched a restoration campaign and labored to secure a $100,000 grant from the City of Tuscaloosa. The house reopened in 2009 after $120,000 of renovations which included a new roof, windows, paint, steps, bathroom, kitchen and HVAC.
- Boyd, Ashley (November 13, 2009) "Stillman’s first home." Tuscaloosa News